Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Level of Effort? What is better for homemade c&c cage?

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
I can’t buy c&c cage in my country and if I’ll order it online I don’t know what quality it will be and it costs a lot for the shopping and o also have to pay 25% VAT so I decided to make my own cage. I bought wire fence and I don’t know what should I use for the bottom. I have old yoga mats and a blanket that I bought for them and is it okay? Or should I use something else?
P.s. you can see the mats on the photo bellow
c6c04961f1979fbfec405a4cc59bab72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
68dfa862aa9654deacb577511ab5f4e5.jpg

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
7c9e7631e99d5231843f27cb55c999a3.jpg

And this is the fence I’m using

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How large are the squares in the fence? If they're large enough for the pigs to get their heads through, you can double it up and make the openings only half as large. Also, that looks like rust on those wires. You'll have to check it often to make sure it's not rusting, as that can cause major mouth problems.

The bedding needs to be something that keeps their feet dry. If you pour water on those mats and it just soaks in and the mat stays wet, they won't do.

What country are you in?

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Are there any Japanese Daiso stores in your country? My local Daiso stores sell rectangle grids that will work for cage making at a very reasonable price.

As to the yoga mat, when I was researching supplies for my piggies, I saw a post where someone used yoga mats as the bottom layer and fleece liner on top. Apparently it worked very well for that poster. You mentioned that you have a blanket. Is that a fleece blanket and what do you plan to put underneath it to absorb liquid? With the mat, it is also very important that the piggies not be able to reach and chew it.

Last edited:

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
The yoga mats are waterproof foam. I use those for the dog to stand on when I groom him. They are soft and give him good footing. They are not absorbent so they are easy to wipe clean.

The yoga mats could probably be used as the bottom layer of the floor. The next layer should be absorbent. I have washable pads that are used to protect beds - incontinence pads. The top layer that I have is a sheet of fleece that covers the whole thing up. I just buy fleece at the fabric store. When you have separate layers like this, everything is easier to wash.

As Bpatters said, the fence should not have rust. The squares should be no larger than 1-1/2 inches or 3.8 centimeters for adult guinea pigs. And the height will need to be at least 14 inches or 35 centimeters tall.

Also, they will be kept indoors I hope. The fence isn’t for outside.

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
How large are the squares in the fence? If they're large enough for the pigs to get their heads through, you can double it up and make the openings only half as large. Also, that looks like rust on those wires. You'll have to check it often to make sure it's not rusting, as that can cause major mouth problems.

The bedding needs to be something that keeps their feet dry. If you pour water on those mats and it just soaks in and the mat stays wet, they won't do.

What country are you in?

The squares in the fence are very small so that even my finger can’t go through it. And for the absorption I have puppy pads and a fleece blanket on top so they couldn’t reach to chew on anything.

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
Are there any Japanese Daiso stores in your country? My local Daiso stores sell rectangle grids that will work for cage making at a very reasonable price.

As to the yoga mat, when I was researching supplies for my piggies, I saw a post where someone used yoga mats as the bottom layer and fleece liner on top. Apparently it worked very well for that poster. You mentioned that you have a blanket. Is that a fleece blanket and what do you plan to put underneath it to absorb liquid? With the mat, it is also very important that the piggies not be able to reach and chew it.

I am from Iceland and I looked it up there’s no stores like you said

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Then the flooring should be okay. And it sounds like the fencing is what we call hardware cloth in the U.S. The squares are about 1/2 inch or a little smaller than the end of your finger.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.