Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet What do NORMAL guinea-pig feet look like?

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Okay, one year ago, I noticed my guinea-pig's feet were swollen. I took her to the doctor and he said it was because of her cedar bedding. We changed the bedding to Carefresh (the kind that looks like balled-up tissue paper) and he gave us medicine. The medicine didn't work. We then took her to another vet a few months after (because the one before retired of sickness, Parkinson's Disease) and he said her feet were fine and that the 'swollen' looking pads on her feet were 'digital foot pads' or something like that. It's hard to find a reliable exotic pet doctor. I feel stupid for asking this but, does anyone have pictures of normal guinea-pig feet they could show me? I tried looking at pics online and the pictures showed feet way more swollen than my pig's, but i'm still skeptical. All of her feet look swollen to me. One of Twix's back feet is a little red too.

Twix barely gets any exercise because she can't be let go in the house very often (she's not potty trained) and she doesn't like her mini harness leash.

My dad said exercise may be the reason, but we don't have an excercise pen. If it is the reason, her C&C cage i'm building tomorrow may help, or will it? I'm so confused.

Mini leashes aren't good for guinea pigs. Cavies are natural prey animals. If they feel scared they run to go hide. If our pig darted on that leash it will break her back and may kill her. Throw it out immediately. If she has a wired bottom cage she'll most likely have Bumble Foot . If her feet look like that take her too the vet. If you look in the free range/floor time section of the photo galleries you'll see some excelent ideas for ways to get her exercised. Good luck! Hope you feel better twix ( I love that name).

The C&C cage will be perfect for her. Is it going be INDOORS? You plan on using carefresh still, or fleece? It will be much softer on her feet either way. Cedar is actually toxic to guinea pigs. I would also throw at the leash, it's an extreme safty harzard.

Piggies have very sensitive feet, this is why they are not to be housed in wire bottom cages. It can cause "bumblefoot". You can read more about that on here:
Guinea Lynx :: Pododermatitis

Keep the guinealynx site handy.

I know that a member on this forum had a pig with bumblefoot and the foot actually had to be amputated - very sad.

Now here is another link from guinealynx. It has just what you are looking for - pictures of normal feet.
Guinea Lynx :: Cavy Feet and Foot Problems

Thank-you so much, guys! And he leash is a harness, meaning it doesn't go around her neck, it goes around her upper body. It doesn't choke or anything. But i'll throw it out anyway. Thanks again, guys!

Does sound like bumblefoot.

Hey!

The harness are really bad for their backs. We do not recomend it...

cielo- she said she threw the harness away.

Good luck with your piggy! Hope she feels better!

Can you take a picture of her feet and post them? That might make it easier for people to say, if they think they are normal or something is wrong.

A picture would be extremely helpful...

I put up a picture of one of her feet while she stood still for a moment.

Whoops, sorry about that. I'm still new to this type of thing. o_O

Here's a picture:

Wow thats a big picture. I can't really tell from the pic, but it seems normal...

The red portion of that foot bothers me.

I can't really tell what that is because it's kind of blurry. But it looks like a pimple (they can't get those).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.