Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ovarian Cysts What age do ovarian cysts start?

SandyPig

Cavy Slave
We have 2 adoptee pigs, been with us only a couple of weeks so far. As best we can tell they are about 9 mos old. They are abbys so the fur can hide a lot. One of them seems to have a rather full abdomen on the sides. We lost 2 senior pigs last year, both of whom had ovarian cysts and this feels similar. But we had them so long, that now I'm not sure what a normal pig abdomen feels like. She is acting fine, I think. We don't know her real well yet, but seems to be eating/pooping/squealing/etc like a normal pig.

So my question is, how early do ovarian cysts start? Is she too young to have them? With our older pigs, we felt that the risk of surgery might be too high. But if this pig has ovarian cysts so young, we'd look into spaying her.

Thanks for advice. Eventually I will take her to the vet, but I wouldn't want to spay her til she's full grown so I'd wait a few more months.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if there's a specific age but as they get older the chances get better.if your feeling like theres a lump and you've been through this then I'm thinking a vet visit is in order.the Dr can guide you through when to get her spayed.

SandyPig

Cavy Slave
Ugh, pregnancy crossed my mind. They both look female to me. They were housed with a third female, all of whom had supposedly been together for months and months. I'll watch her closely, if pregnant she should be enlarging. Don't know if this is relevant, but we were told she was the dominant pig of the trio. When we brought her home, she was clearly the brave and bossy one. But that seems to have flipped, the other pig is more outgoing and seems more dominant now. Does it switch in a new environment? Not sure what to make of it all.

SandyPig

Cavy Slave
She only gained 5 g from last week, so that is encouraging. I think.
Today she is Madame Aggressive, rumbling and chasing and dominating the other pig.
New pigs-- have to get to know them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.