Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Weight loss and pinkish urine

IsabellePiggies

Cavy Slave
I just joined here because I'm concerned about my guinea pig. I have two 6 year old guinea pigs. They have always been very healthy. I noticed that Marshmellow looked thinner than usual. I picked her up and compared to Millie, she was really light. On the fleece in their cage, there was pinkish urine stains. I think maybe it could be a bit of blood in the urine. Their urine was never that color before. I wonder if it could be a UTI or bladder stones. There was pretty big white patches on the fleece too. Both of them seem to be behaving normally, still eating and running around. Why could she be losing weight? Should I take them to the vet?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she has lost weight (You really need to weigh her on a weekly basis) and there appears to be pink urine in the cage, she needs to see a vet. If she's lost noticeable weight without you weighing her, it's imperative that she get in ASAP. White residue usually means calcium deposits, which can possibly lead to bladder stones but it could also be a UTI as well.

My advice is to see an exotic vet. Now.

IsabellePiggies

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your advice. I just checked on them and there is more pink urine and some bright red blood. I will talk to my mom about going to the vet.

IsabellePiggies

Cavy Slave
I talked to my mom about it and she doesn't want to take them to the vet because it's expensive and they are old anyway. I'm trying to keeping an eye on them and make sure things don't get worse. I don't think there's much I can do and I'm scared that it will get worse.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The bright red blood is an indication that it may be bladder stones. She really needs to see a vet right away.

WhyzPiggies2021

Cavy Slave
Bladder stones can be very painful for guinea pigs. I understand your mom's perspective. You can explain to a vet that you can't afford any tests (diagnostics) but just don't want your pet to be in pain. The cost of a vet visit and pain meds is reasonable... Does your guinea pig wheek while peeing or pooping?

IsabellePiggies

Cavy Slave
It's hard to tell because they always wheek a lot when I go by them because they want food. When I took them out to play, Millie did pee and seemed fine. I think it's Marshmellow (because of the weight loss) though and I haven't seen her pee. I hope she isn't in a lot of pain.

WhyzPiggies2021

Cavy Slave
Hi Isabelle,

Guinea pigs pee and poop frequently so it's probably only a matter of time before you figure that out. If it is possible, add white paper to your cage (maybe only in their "kitchen" area). That way you can see exactly what it coming out of your sick guinea pig.

I had one guinea pig who rarely wheeked while peeing/pooping, but I saw pink urine occasionally. It turned out she was beginning to have issues with her uterus. In contrast, UTI's and bladder stones are very painful for guinea pigs.

That said, guinea pigs are herd animals and they hide their symptoms well.

Hoping your guinea pig is feeling better,
Wendy

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I talked to my mom about it and she doesn't want to take them to the vet because it's expensive and they are old anyway. I'm trying to keeping an eye on them and make sure things don't get worse. I don't think there's much I can do and I'm scared that it will get worse.

What a shame some parents fail their children by teaching them that's it's OK to not be responsible for a commitment, that money means more than compassion, and that old lives are no longer valued.

Wonder how this will pan out when your mom gets older and needs compassion and care that may cost a lot.

I hope the best for your guinea pig. An exotic vet who cares for guinea pigs is needed.

Perhaps you can call a few vets to get an estimate on cost and work out a repayment plan with your mom through money or chores.

WhyzPiggies2021

Cavy Slave
Dear Isabelle,

I commend you for reaching out to this forum and trying to help your pet. That is evidence of how responsible you are. :)

Last year, I let my senior guinea pig go. He was approx. the same age as your pet. I told my vet that I simply didn't have enough money to investigate, for tests. She knew that I had another female guinea who had health issues. I decided that I wanted to put all my money into my youngest pet. My vet completely understood my financial situation. Many people are going through a difficult time due to Covid. My vet happily gave me pain meds for my senior guinea pig. I did the best I could under my circumstances and I have no regrets.

In addition, I was taught that human lives do have more value than animals. I have even spoken to vets who have told me that as they help animals, they are also helping humans. Even if money did grow on trees, and you had all the money in the world - you might not be able to save your pet. Perhaps, your mother is simply putting your future first. In my opinion, there is no shame in that. Nor, should anyone make you feel badly for the difficult situation you are in.

What you do next, is your prerogative, your personal choice. It is a private. Please don't let anyone make you feel like you or your mom aren't "OK". Just enjoy the time you do have with your guinea pig. Nothing lasts forever ...

Sincerely,
Wendy

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Like it or not, vet care is a fundamental component of being a responsible pet owner.

Sometimes unforseen financial challenges can make it difficult, but very rarely impossible if someone is truly willing to fulfill their pet care obligation. There are payment plans at vet clinics and rescues/shelters that are willing to offer free or drastically reduced vet costs right now due to Covid. All it takes is effort to make the calls and have those conversations.

I remember a time years ago where I was much younger and naive to the necessity of having a vet fund. I had to pawn my TV to get the funds needed for the care of a dear older pet. The issue was resolved with a simple vet visit and she lived several more years. I don't regret a thing.

Sometimes not all illnesses can be resolved and you have to make the tough decision to let them go. But vet care should never be withheld. Finding the funds may be inconvenient but it all comes down to the fact that allowing a pet to suffer is inhumane and irresponsible.

IsabellePiggies

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your advice. I haven't been at home but my mom told me that there hasn't been anymore blood in their urine. She said she would phone the vet if they continue to have any bleeding. Also I'll try to monitor Marshmellow's weight.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your advice. I haven't been at home but my mom told me that there hasn't been anymore blood in their urine. She said she would phone the vet if they continue to have any bleeding. Also I'll try to monitor Marshmellow's weight.

Good news.

Here is a very inexpensive but very effective suggestion to monitor their weight & health: get an inexpensive kitchen scale.

Then weigh them at the same time each day (before veggies or treats). Keep a small notebook of their weight.

You will be able to clearly see if they are losing weight or lose weight suddenly (illness) and can possibly start treatment before it becomes a major issue. This also helps to have on hand if you get an exotics vet who will prescribe meds via a phone call for ongoing issues. They will want to know an accurate weight to get the dosage correct. Saves time & money!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.