Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Weight Loss Question

megamazing

Cavy Slave
Hello. My skinny pig, Ginny (lol yes it rhymes,) has had diarrhea for a few days now, I've been giving Benebac twice a day which has helped in the past but I'm seeing no change, I withheld veggies last night as well. Her appetite seems normal and she's behaving mostly fine, maybe slightly less active but nothing crazy, currently doing floor time and she's munching on hay and treats like normal. I weighed her yesterday and she was 780g, today she is at 754g. I'm going to take her into the ER vet tonight after work (in about 2 hours,) but is this weight loss worrisome or a normal fluctuation? She is a solo pig (my 3 others passed away in 2021, she will be my last,) so no chance of her catching or passing something. Thanks.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
How old is Ginny? I would go by the Guinealynx page on weight for when to worry: https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

It's good you have a vet visit lined up. Diarrhea in pigs is never good. If the Benebac isn't helping (in my experience it helps diarrhea quite well), then it's time to see what the vet has to say.

megamazing

Cavy Slave
How old is Ginny? I would go by the Guinealynx page on weight for when to worry: https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

It's good you have a vet visit lined up. Diarrhea in pigs is never good. If the Benebac isn't helping (in my experience it helps diarrhea quite well), then it's time to see what the vet has to say.

She will be 5 in October, so she’s getting up there in age.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is it full-on diarrhea (very watery), or just soft stools? Diarrhea in a guinea pig is a medical emergency, but it needs an exotic vet, not a cat and dog vet moonlighting at a pet ER. I'd see if I couldn't find a good exotic vet.

Four and a half isn't really all that old, certainly not old enough to be seeing age-related weight loss. So I'd look for another cause.

The general rule of thumb is to take them off all veggies immediately when seeing diarrhea or really soft stools. Once it's cleared up, if it does, you can add back veggies one at a time, 2-3 days in between each new one, and see if you can identify if one of the veggies is the problem.

megamazing

Cavy Slave
Is it full-on diarrhea (very watery), or just soft stools? Diarrhea in a guinea pig is a medical emergency, but it needs an exotic vet, not a cat and dog vet moonlighting at a pet ER. I'd see if I couldn't find a good exotic vet.

Four and a half isn't really all that old, certainly not old enough to be seeing age-related weight loss. So I'd look for another cause.

The general rule of thumb is to take them off all veggies immediately when seeing diarrhea or really soft stools. Once it's cleared up, if it does, you can add back veggies one at a time, 2-3 days in between each new one, and see if you can identify if one of the veggies is the problem.

I’m aware they don’t need regular vets, as I said she is my 4th. The ER vet near me is a 24/7 VCA hospital with exotic vets on staff, she is there now, I’m home waiting while they examine her. It’s usually a few hours. The stool is not watery, it’s clumpy, misshapen and soft.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can also help with some of the dehydration by picking up some unflavoured Pedialyte, or a generic drugstore brand. It will help replace electrolytes and lessen the impact of the diarrhea.

Please let us know how she makes out.

PS I just went through this with my boys. I cut way back on their veggies which got them eating more hay and got rid of the soft stools in about 48 hours. Didn't help that Leo broke a tooth somehow last week, and his vet evened up his incisors because the bottom one that wasn't broken was damaging the top ones.

megamazing

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. The vet didn’t give much of an idea of a cause but sent me home with Metronidazole twice a day for 5 days to start.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
What sort of diagnostics did the vet do? Metro does treat diarrhea but I feel like it's more of a bandaid that vets use when they don't really know what the cause is (coming from someone that has used it myself and from working at an animal clinic). Altho I have never used it with a gpig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.