Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Website giving out free hay samples!

Hey Laurie, We got our hay sample today.... It was so much fun getting piggie mail. I gave them some placed it on the food loft to see which hay they went too.They picked your hay so I took pictures for you. They seemed to enjoy it It smelled wonderful if that makes sense.

ACTUALLY THEY ARE MUNCHING ON IT AT THE MOMENT.

Attachments

Guinea pigs pig ature shoot 001 (640x468).jpg Guinea pigs pig ature shoot 002 (640x480).jpg Guinea pigs pig ature shoot 004 (640x539).jpg Guinea pigs pig ature shoot 005 (640x479).jpg
@Lilathandra - Great to hear, we're so glad they liked it! And yes we will definitely be offering pellets in the future. Thanks for your comment and have a great day!

@boofp -- thank you for sharing these pictures, so awesome...love these piggies!

Thanks maggie

Made a video on the pigs getting their sample! :D Will upload it soon. They really enjoyed it, and at a few points you can see Ro Dah shoving her head into the pile to get more. xD She should totally be the mascot for Small Pet Select. I also thought some people might find it useful, since a lot of us buy KMS right now, I laid out a bundle of 3rd cut KMS next to a bundle of the sample hay in the video. Personally I can't see much of a difference, though I'm no hay expert.

When the mail came today, I bolted outside to grab my sample of Small Pet Select timothy hay. I tore open the package and the hay was green, leafy, and very soft. I set up an unfair taste test between orchard grass and the Small Pet Select timothy hay. Orchard grass is kind of a treat for my piggies and timothy hay they get in unlimited quantities, but I put two piles side by side and the winner was... Small Pet Select timothy hay!

Otto literally wheeked the whole time I was fumbling to get the hay out of the package, and ran (okay, waddled) up to the timothy hay pile. Otto tried to make the hay pile his own (if you know what I mean), but Clifford didn't care and helped himself to some hay, too. They love the leafy parts best, and there were lots of leafy/ flowery bits in my sample. Next up I gave some of the sample timothy hay to Earl and Lloyd, who immediately and started munching. I didn't have to mix old and new hay or anything like that, they eagerly ate what I gave them. Then my Himalayan twins got the last bit of hay from the sample bag, and I swear they gave each other a look like "Wow, this smells good!" before tucking in to their meal.

Laurie, thank you for the Small Pet Select hay sample and the personalized note you sent along with it. If you could tell me how much timothy hay you think I would need for six boars for a month, I would like to order that quantity soon. I will be in touch!

I got my sample and it is beautiful hay. It's a few dollars more than what I pay for 50 lbs of Oxbow timothy or orchard grass that Pet Supplies Plus special orders for me. It ships to the store without extra cost to me but having hay delivered to my house would be nice . I recently bought two fresh bales of hay from a feed store in the area so I'm set for awhile. Can I still use the free shipping code when I run out of hay?

When the mail came today, I bolted outside to grab my sample of Small Pet Select timothy hay. I tore open the package and the hay was green, leafy, and very soft. I set up an unfair taste test between orchard grass and the Small Pet Select timothy hay. Orchard grass is kind of a treat for my piggies and timothy hay they get in unlimited quantities, but I put two piles side by side and the winner was... Small Pet Select timothy hay!

Otto literally wheeked the whole time I was fumbling to get the hay out of the package, and ran (okay, waddled) up to the timothy hay pile. Otto tried to make the hay pile his own (if you know what I mean), but Clifford didn't care and helped himself to some hay, too. They love the leafy parts best, and there were lots of leafy/ flowery bits in my sample. Next up I gave some of the sample timothy hay to Earl and Lloyd, who immediately and started munching. I didn't have to mix old and new hay or anything like that, they eagerly ate what I gave them. Then my Himalayan twins got the last bit of hay from the sample bag, and I swear they gave each other a look like "Wow, this smells good!" before tucking in to their meal.

Laurie, thank you for the Small Pet Select hay sample and the personalized note you sent along with it. If you could tell me how much timothy hay you think I would need for six boars for a month, I would like to order that quantity soon. I will be in touch!

I always get 50 lbs of hay for 7 (and now 8) guinea pigs I have. I don't scrimp on hay and empty hay trays daily so I probably go through 50 lbs in 3 months. I overlap orders so I've never really figured out exactly. If you store it properly, it'll last a long time.

Thank you guys for all of the great feedback! I've answered some questions and comments below:

@PigPandemonium - I would really love to see that video! And yes, this is a 2nd cutting timothy hay that is slightly leafier than average 2nd cutting, but still has plenty of stem in there to provide good fiber which is important for an adult guinea pig. One issue I looked at is even though if you can find a really good quality 3rd cutting (which is pretty tough) it is very rich (much higher in protein and lower in fiber than a 2nd cutting). If you were to look at the analysis of a 1st cutting timothy, a 2nd cutting timothy, and a 3rd cutting timothy, here's what you would find:

1st cutting timothy: Highest fiber, lowest protein
2nd cutting timothy: medium fiber, medium protein
3rd cutting timothy: Lowest fiber, highest protein --> almost similar levels to alfalfa

One one end of the spectrum, first cutting timothy has the highest fiber. But many of us that have tried it know that piggies have a tough time with first cutting...it has bigger stalks and heads and a harder texture, although it is good for horses and dairy cattle it can be tough for our small animals to handle.

On the other end of the spectrum, third cutting is very very soft, almost like grass clippings. And if you can find a good quality 3rd your piggy will undoubtedly like it. However its just important to keep in mind the fiber level is lowest in 3rd cutting--and it is really a rich hay, almost like alfalfa.

So for now we've focused on finding the very best quality 2nd cutting, and we lean a little bit to the leafier side because we know thats what small animals enjoy eating. Keep in mind I'm not at all saying I think it is "wrong" for someone to feed a 1st cutting or a 3rd cutting, the most important part is to be feeding grass hay in the first place. And every pet is different and has their unique needs. However we chose to offer 2nd cutting because in my personal opinion it is the best overall mix of providing the high fiber they need while also being enjoyable to eat. And there is enough 2nd grown that we can go out and network with many growers from multiple states to find and "Select" (hence the name) only the very best stuff for small pets.

@NorthernLight - Thank you! Regarding the size, I would say it would be between a 22lb and a 50lb. On your first order maybe smart to go with the 22lb and try it out to see if that works well. And if you decide you'd like to order a little more in bulk then I'd move to the 50lb. @pinky is right that if you store it properly the hay lasts awhile. The issue with the store bought hay is that it goes through such a long distribution chain that it can sometimes be 2 years or more by the time it gets purchased, and the fact it is in a plastic bag getting hit by light and handled roughly the whole way doesn't help.

I would say go for the 50lb but the only thing I worry about with the 50lb and it will last you a long time, but the thing about it is it comes in a very big box. Its worth it for some people but it can be a bit of a nuisance depending on your set up at home.

@pinky - Thank you! Regarding the coupon, we will be doing the promo for awhile, and we're also thinking to offer the free shipping for repeat buyers. However, if you'd like to make sure you have a coupon for your first order just send me an email at [email protected] and I'll make a special coupon for you for your first order.

Thanks guys and let me know if you have any other questions!

By the way, right now we are making an adjustment to our site. For a short time the free sample is not available on the site but I welcome anyone from this forum to email me at [email protected] and we will get the sample sent to you.

@Laurie I got my sample in today. The girls LOVED it! They were practically fighting over the whole package. They too also wheeked when I was opening the package. And these girls have yet to put together "crumpling bag = food".

Took some photos after taking the sample out of the packaging. They were both snatching and dragging the package to their "hoarding" spots.
Lady couldn't decide where she wanted to sit and eat from.

Oh the pigs are so cute! Looks like you have a great batch of hay :) I'd order some but alas, am piggie free for the moment.

@MrWhistles - Thank you! And remember for anyone else that would like a free sample, please email me at [email protected]. I had to take that link to the sample down but hope to have it back up again shortly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.