Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

We have 1 pup!

JLC1113

Cavy Slave
This morning after we got back from Church we had a nice surprise, Ms. Bugsy delivered 1 pup sometime after we left. Both mother and baby are doing just fine. My question is, how soon now can the baby be handled? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you in advance!

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
I handled Skittles' babies right away. They were not even totally dried yet when I picked them up.

JLC1113

Cavy Slave
The baby has been nursing throughout the day but now when it tries to Ms.Bugsy keeps moving so the baby can't nurse. Is the starting signs of her pushing baby away? If she does push baby away what can I do for the baby?

ku_gal

Cavy Slave
Well I just got babies too you can handle them as soon as you want they may squirm though

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
You can handle them, but it should be after they clean the baby up. Maybe the mother's milk never came in yet? They eat the placenta after the baby is born which helps stimulate the lactation. Have you seen it laying around the cage at all?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.