Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits We are considering a rabbit, info needed!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Having a rabbit is not like having a guinea pig. You're whole home has to become a rabbit home and the people in it, rabbit people. With a guinea pig, even though we love them and spend so much time with them, they still are only taking over one cage's worth of space. If we are busy for a day they are just fine being on their own as long as they get fed. With a rabbit you need to make time for them, you need to change your routine for them. It is more like having a puppy than a rodent like animal. A puppy with a cat's attitude.

This is what attracted us to rabbits. I LOVE dogs, but am not allowed one. I want something that will interact with me, play, cuddle just like a dog. I realize that it is a lot of work lol. I'm just more worried that the rabbit would get into something it shouldn't. My husband is home all the time pretty much, and I'm here most of the time as long as I'm not in school.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Rabbits don't usually cuddle. My cali was a cuddlier but the others weren't. They are more like cats. They will come to you when they want something otherwise they will pretty much do their own thing.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I am still doing some research about house rabbits, but now I'm terrified of the idea of getting a rabbit. Reading all this makes me wonder why anyone would want a rabbit if they're so hard to handle.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Rabbits are smart and cheeky. They are more work then piggies..........but are totally worth it!

Kenny will come up to me and push this toy thingy which I hide pellets in...he'll push it up to my feet and just sit there looking at me...I swear I can him saying,"Pellets...give me some pellets...you will give me pellets".

aspecht

Cavy Slave
That's cute! I'm used to cheeky lol. I have three cheeky kids and a cheeky husband. I've also had a lot of stubborn animals. I realize that rabbit proofing is a must, but honestly I hide all the cords for things (my baby chews them), outlets are covered, my furniture is old so I don't care if that gets chewed on, and I would install gates to keep him from escaping out the door (we are going to be doing this anyways for my son). I'm just worried because people I've talked to make it sound so IMPOSSIBLE to keep a rabbit. IDK, I realize guinea pigs are much easier than a rabbit lol.

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
Rabbits are very nice pets except mine can be very sassy XD. It is fun to watch them play and not all rabbit will destroy everything. My one rabbit doesn't care about destroying but will dig and throw things even tries throwing people if in here way( she is a mutt rabbit but I am pretty sure part rex). She also will dig at are feet or nudge us to pay attention while a little while ago she was so scared. My other rabbit is quite like a dog ( He is a holland lop ) and loves to cuddle and BEGS for attention no matter how much you give he wants more although he also chews everything. I find rabbit quite amusing to watch with their crazy antics. For gates I would recommend dog gates at the moment I am the lookout for one for now I just make barricades.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
That's cute! I'm used to cheeky lol. I have three cheeky kids and a cheeky husband. I've also had a lot of stubborn animals. I realize that rabbit proofing is a must, but honestly I hide all the cords for things (my baby chews them), outlets are covered, my furniture is old so I don't care if that gets chewed on, and I would install gates to keep him from escaping out the door (we are going to be doing this anyways for my son). I'm just worried because people I've talked to make it sound so IMPOSSIBLE to keep a rabbit. IDK, I realize guinea pigs are much easier than a rabbit lol.

see, since you're already used to cheeky it won't make much of a difference, will it? :cool:

seriously though... hubby and I had 2 piggies and a 3yr old cat before we got our bunny and it may be for that reason that I don't find caring for a rabbit overwhelming. I'm sure none of the other posters meant to discourage or intimidate you, it's just things to keep in mind when adding a bunny to the family. I had a couple pieces of mail and a pair of shoes chewed up by mr bunny, he broke out of the cage once which earned him the nick name mr smarty pants but other than that, no major losses so far lol plus it was my fault for having my ankle boots too close to the cage knowing that bunny likes to chew on everything that crosses his way. the loft base he used to escape the cage is now surrounded by a second level of grids so no biggie here either. since you are already planning on having gates to block off certain areas of the house, don't mind your furniture nibbled on (which ours hasn't tried yet at all) etc. I don't see why you should be scared out of getting a bunny (they're cheeky but not mean creatuers after all!) you seem pretty well prepared already IMHO.
I guess what I'm really trying to say is that if you really want a bunny you wont mind the work that comes with him and since the care is fairly similar (as far as food, bedding, cages etc.) is concerned, it's not a totally new and different thing. all the other things, you'll learn as you go, both you/your family and the bunny. as long as you love the bunny and do your best to take care of him, he'll be a happy camper :)

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Dog gates/baby gates are on my shopping list already lol. I am looking for some wire pieces, like grids but taller, to barricade off my front door, my child tries to escape as well. We employ baby gates by the stairs already for my 1 year old. I was looking at building him a "cage" for nighttime and when we aren't home. I want that kind of information so we know what we need if we decide to get one.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Aw rabbits are awesome. I had rabbits over a 10 year period, that is just what they did during that time. It is important to know what you are getting into and troublesome rabbits are one part of it. Rabbits are also super smart. They can learn tricks and walk on a lead. Mins came when called and were litter trained. When they want attention they will nudge you or just jump on you!

My rabbit Allen, also a mini Rex, use to steal food from me or my friends if we were eating on the floor. He once grabbed a whole slice of pizza and ran off with it!

FizGig use to sit by my feet while I did homework or research papers.

Big Bob was the most playful. He would run laps around the house and snuggle when I watched TV. He also would come running anytime the fridge was opened. He loved people.

Jake was the little butt head of the group. Always thought he was so much better than everyone else. Lol

Trouble was the one that gave me the most head ache. He was always trying to get away with something he shouldn't be doing. He was also the most destructive of all the rabbits I had.

Loved rabbits. I can't wait until I can get more.

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
Big Bob kind of remind me of my holland lop he comes running into the kitchen when he hears people or food but then slides because it is linoleum. My Mutt/Rex rabbit all the time will grab my sister and pull her to try to throw her. Or will try to throw a blanket and it will fall on her XD. Also being the sassy her will grunt all the time or box but never means anything by she just doesn't trust me. She doesn't do it anymore though except when she particularly grumpy with me. Once I also had a rabbit who loved "hide and seek it was quite funny whenever I went to hide he would find me and nudge then go running off.

I want more rabbits to they are like guinea pigs and you just want to spoil them lots which they love!

Last edited:

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if someone already said this before but rabbits can get sore hocks pretty easily so it's good to keep them on soft surfaces since sore hocks can be difficult to heal up. Everyone else has pretty much said everything! :cool:

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if someone already said this before but rabbits can get sore hocks pretty easily so it's good to keep them on soft surfaces since sore hocks can be difficult to heal up. Everyone else has pretty much said everything! :cool:

We intend to get an area rug for our living room, since the floor gets cold anyways. Is this acceptable!?

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
Yes that should be fine. (Sorry this is late I was off for a while!)

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Wow, somehow I missed this whole thread. I've been keeping house rabbits on and off for over 20 years. I'd just like to add that the more rabbits I've had, the more I've seen just how amazingly different each one can be.

I know there are stories of those bunnies that chew and destroy absolutely everything. But some generalizations about rabbits aren't true for every rabbit (or even most rabbits, in some instances). All of my rabbits have been able to run around on the carpet without chewing it. (with one exception -- and he wasn't obsessive about it, so it could be contolled). In fact, most of my rabbits have had carpet in their cages.

I have found that it's mostly a matter of getting to know your individual bunny(s) and working around them. Barricades that work for one bun may not work for another. With each bun, it seems, I've learned to give them more & more freedom. My current pair have free reign downstairs all day long. I just leave the cage door open.

I've gotten all of my rabbits from rescues (which I'd highly recommend) so they are already fixed. Fixed rabbits do litter train easily. Just know that it's mostly about the urine. Almost all rabbits will drop the occasional poo. But bunny poos are dry, and odor-free so not a big deal. I've never really had an issue with a rabbit peeing anywhere other than their litter box. I've had more clean-ups from my dog than from my rabbits.

But really, as I said, each rabbit is unique. The advantage of getting a bun from a rescue that is already fixed is that their personality is more evident. And if you want a pair, getting an already bonded (fixed) pair GREATLY simplifies things.

Since housing rabbits indoors (much like a dog, as someone else described) can be difficult to imagine, I've created a website for the express purpose of showing people what it can be like to have indoor rabbits. Perhaps the site, with its photos and videos, might offer a perspective that words sometimes can't convey.
Just click here to be directed to my site. Hope you enjoy it.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I believe that rabbits should have a rabbit companion. Opposite gender pairs seem to work the best, but same gender ones work, too.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I believe that rabbits should have a rabbit companion. Opposite gender pairs seem to work the best, but same gender ones work, too.

Yeah, we haven't added a second rabbit simply because he does have eye issues that we need to clear up. The vet won't neuter him until then.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
do rabbits need to be in pairs like piggies? When I move don't know when that will be!!? but I would like to have a cat or rabbit. not sure which?

Rayen

Cavy Slave
do rabbits need to be in pairs like piggies? When I move don't know when that will be!!? but I would like to have a cat or rabbit. not sure which?

Just like guinea pigs, rabbits are social animals and should have a companion. The best pairs tend to be a neutered male with a spayed female.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
Just like guinea pigs, rabbits are social animals and should have a companion. The best pairs tend to be a neutered male with a spayed female.
A couple more can you feed the rabbit guinea pig pellets? how do you keep the bunny from chewing things like base boards?. Is it easier to keep the rabbit/protect from the piggies? I don't know how to choose between a cat or a bunny? much down the line. the rabbit would be free range.

Threepigsnacuy

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig pellets should not be a part of a rabbits permenant diet as the high vitamin c is bad for bunnies. If you rub a bit of full strength vinegar on the baseboards, it should deter the chewing. I don't understand the next question. Are you asking about protecting the piggies from the bunny? Between bunnies and cats, I prefer bunnies (I still love cats but I am a real bunny person at heart) because they are more affectionate, active, and playful.

A few extras:
-Please never put a leash, harness or collar on your rabbit. If the collar/harness/leash becomes caught, or the rabbit tries to get out, the bunny can easily break its own back trying to escape.
-People say that male/female pairs work the best, but it really could matter less. The personality of the bunny is what matters.
-You say you may be considering a Lionhead. I have had 4 lionheads, they are wonderful bunnies.

My favorite bunny forum
https://binkybunny.com/HOME/tabid/36/Default.aspx

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.