Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Vomiting due to burges nuggets help???

Eimear

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to weigh in here, I've fed burgess excel pellets to my three and I've never had any problems, they are the best brand on the market here and in the UK, I'm very happy with them. Grass is the first ingredient. They're also enriched with vitamin C (820mg/kg). I know there's probably better brands for sale across the pond but unfortunately you can't get them here.

Eimear

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info, I'd never heard of JR Farm, looks really good

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The Burgess is similar to the Mazuri that someone mentioned. Not fantastic, but not horrible, either. It is an alfalfa based pellet, though, so depending on the ages of your pigs you might not want to feed it anymore.

The JR Farms stuff looks pretty good to me.

It usually does no good to mix two different varieties of pellets. The pigs will pick out the stuff they like, and make a mess with the other stuff. I'm going through that right now--I mixed Oxbow Cavy Cuisine with Oxbow Natural Science, and they much prefer the taste of the Natural Science and are leaving the Cavy Cuisine all over the fleece! Messy girls. So don't bother mixing the Burgess with the muesli.

Party Guineas

Cavy Slave
Just to weigh in, as I've had to deal with this living in the UK, I started with feeding my piggies Pets at Home pellets. They were ok, but after more research, it seemed like the regular Burgess pellets were supposed to be better quality (not the sensitive type, but the normal ones - tasty nuggets). However, as far as I've seen, all popular guinea pig pellets that you can buy off the shelves in the UK and that are UK produced are made with alfalfa hay. This is also called "lucerne", which is seen in the ingredients in your pellets. So, they do have a type of hay. Many UK owners and shelters (including the one I got mine from) feed Burgess Tasty Nuggets.

However, I didn't want to be feeding my guineas alfalfa because they're over the recommended alfalfa age, so I order in Oxbow pellets. You can order Oxbow Cavy Cuisine from Amazon.co.uk, Bunny Bazaar (shop run by the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund), and The Hay Experts. They all stock them and ship in the UK. There is a cost difference, but I think it's worth it to feed them on timothy pellets. Mine don't have calcium deposit problems on Oxbow, though, so it's worth using a small bit first to see.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.