Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Vitamin C tabs

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Do they need vit C tabs if they have it in their pellets & they also eat veggies everyday? I thought I read somewhere that too much vit C was not good for them.

The only issue with vit C is if it is in extreme excess, just follow the guide of roughly 10/30mg per kg and you will be fine. Vit C is a very safe vitamin to supplement as it is water soluble (meaning any excess can be excreted out through urine). There is a belief that pseudo-scurvy can occur if the vitamin is given in extreme excess then suddenly cut back but there have been no studies that support this, however their are studies of mega doses of vit C that have found other side effects from mega dosing.

Here is something to have a read of. (broken link removed)

Last edited:

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
I had to return something I ordered the boys, and saw that the price of the Oxbow Vit C had dropped almost $2, down to $6 and some change. They do have some 2 pks on there. Might order more. Poe is definitely the one eating the veggies, not sure that Fire Ball is. I did see Fire Ball eat the crushed up Vit C, so at least I know he's getting something.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The new vitamin C, or the old stuff?

gogo6798

Cavy Slave
So I just got these vitamin C tablets today for the pigs while I am away so I know they are getting their full amount.
But, before I give it to them, I want to know if I got the right thing.
The tablets are 500mg, which is all my local Safeway carried, and aren't full of multi-vitamins; just C.
View attachment 69108

gogo6798

Cavy Slave
hi I've always given my guinea pig the vitamin c from oxbow but now they discontined it. there's a replacement.but i wouldn't give them that for humans i believe told by my vet that it's dosage is too much for them these are the ones they replaced it with and i just checked they are still selling them at amazon

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The new Oxbow vitamin C tablets are loaded with calcium. I wouldn't give them to a pig older than six months.

Plain vitamin C made for humans is just fine. It's ascorbic acid, whether it's made for pigs or people or pigeons. You can just crumble part of a tablet on the pig's food if the pig won't take it from your hand.

gogo6798

Cavy Slave
The new Oxbow vitamin C tablets are loaded with calcium. I wouldn't give them to a pig older than six months.

Plain vitamin C made for humans is just fine. It's ascorbic acid, whether it's made for pigs or people or pigeons. You can just crumble part of a tablet on the pig's food if the pig won't take it from your hand.

gogo6798

Cavy Slave
really, i didn't really notice that.i have to read it again,thanks for telling me.my piggy loved the other pills but if their not coming back:( i guess i'll find something else.

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
The new vitamin C, or the old stuff?

The old version. I paid $8 for it, and after I ordered it, it dropped down to $6 and some change for a 90 ct bottle. You can buy 2 pks of it too. Thankfully, now that Poe is showing FireBall the ropes when it comes to eating veggies, I'm hoping that I can keep the bottle and use it occasionally and not daily.

gogo6798

Cavy Slave
The old version. I paid $8 for it, and after I ordered it, it dropped down to $6 and some change for a 90 ct bottle. You can buy 2 pks of it too. Thankfully, now that Poe is showing FireBall the ropes when it comes to eating veggies, I'm hoping that I can keep the bottle and use it occasionally and not daily.

gogo6798

Cavy Slave
oh yes my Ginny eats veg,real good. i try to give it every other day, i'm just afraid that she's been so ok. all this time not giving it daily will change something,

Rainspinner

Cavy Slave
I cannot find Vitamin C tablets under 500mg anywhere. I've looked through Costco in the US, Costco in Canada, smaller drug stores in Canada... I found this Franklin 250mg one for children, but it has a lot of calcium in it too.

It is ok if I just grind the 500mg into powder and sprinkle a tiny, tiny, tiny bit over their food?

gogo6798

Cavy Slave
I cannot find Vitamin C tablets under 500mg anywhere. I've looked through Costco in the US, Costco in Canada, smaller drug stores in Canada... I found this Franklin 250mg one for children, but it has a lot of calcium in it too.

It is ok if I just grind the 500mg into powder and sprinkle a tiny, tiny, tiny bit over their food?

gogo6798

Cavy Slave
i would not give them that much or even less than that.check on amazon they are still selling it, ask your vet what the other option would be mine recommended the ones i mentioned before but ask yours to see what they say. i got an extra bottle of the oxbow from my vets office before they finished.also make sure they eat their red and green peppers and oranges that way you know they are getting the vitamin c through there. i was told by my vet that too little vitamin gives them scurvy but also too much gives them arthritis problems why i don't know.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You could grind the tablet and sprinkle a bit on the food. You'd aim for about 1/20 of a tablet at a time.

My worry about those tablets is the artificial sweetener in them. I know sugar's not good for them, but I don't think we know anything at all about how sweeteners affect them. Given that they'd get such a small amount, I think I'd look for one sweetened with sugar.

gogo6798

Cavy Slave
You could grind the tablet and sprinkle a bit on the food. You'd aim for about 1/20 of a tablet at a time.

My worry about those tablets is the artificial sweetener in them. I know sugar's not good for them, but I don't think we know anything at all about how sweeteners affect them. Given that they'd get such a small amount, I think I'd look for one sweetened with sugar.

gogo6798

Cavy Slave
you're best bet is to ask your vet,those little guys can get sick very easily.

code3chica

Cavy Slave
Hylands makes an infant dissolvable vitamin c tab that is 25mg. Other ingredients are lactose, natural lemon flavor, acacia gum, licorice extract, vans citric acid.

Is this ok or no?

YinYangPiggies

Cavy Slave
Hylands makes an infant dissolvable vitamin c tab that is 25mg. Other ingredients are lactose, natural lemon flavor, acacia gum, licorice extract, vans citric acid.

Is this ok or no?

I saw those, the dosage is perfect. I was unsure about the lactose though as they are lactose intolerant. I have the childlife liquid C & give it to mine in a syringe, they love it!

code3chica

Cavy Slave
I was looking at that too. Will probably get some of that. I figured the lactose was no good....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.