Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Vitamin C supplements

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
What are the alternatives to the Oxbow Vitamin C biscuits? My pigs go through phases where one won’t eat it all and it’s driving me mad. They don’t seem to taste very good to them and they’re big.

I feed the Oxbow supplements and it’s a favorite treat for my guinea pig. You can try a human chewable vitamin C tablet split so that each piece is about 25mg. Some guinea pigs will eat those, or crushed and sprinkled on veggies. There are also liquid drops that are flavored and can be given by mouth. Most have instructions for adding to water but that’s a bad idea since the vitamin breaks down, the water tastes funny so the pigs might not drink, and you never know how much they drink. Read the labels so you get just vitamin c and no sugars or colors or artificial sweeteners.

Is there a reason you are wanting to supplement for vit. C? Do they get veggies that have vit C and a good pellet food with stable C?

Is there a reason you are wanting to supplement for vit. C? Do they get veggies that have vit C and a good pellet food with stable C?
My vet thinks it’s just a good thing to do for all guinea pigs just to make sure their diet is not lacking. They eat Oxbow pellets, but they really won’t go for any veggies with high vit C. They absolutely hate bell peppers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.