Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements Vitamin C question

Buddy4

Cavy Slave
Are drops the only way to administer vitamin C to GP's?

Thanks in advance...

No. If you are referring to the drops you put in water, they should never be used. They degrade within a few minutes after putting them in the water and can distort the taste of the water making pigs drink less and become dehydrated.

A good, well rounded veggie diet is the best way to ensure C content. If pigs don't want to eat veggies, then there are Oxbow C tabs and human supplements (tablet and liquid) form that can be given.

No, not to put in water, just to give by mouth. I bought some chewables today, and am wondering if they are safe. I am concerned about Buddy, there doesn't seem anything very obvious like water eyes or coughing, just lethargic. He has been to the vet, and she is treating him with Zythromax for 10 days. I am wondering if, despite the veggies twice a day, if he has a deficiency. He gets red leaf lettuce, cilantro, green bell peppers every day. Endive when I can find it, and carrots and apples for treats. Any words of advice?

If he's eating veggies to include bell pepper, it's doubtful he has a C deficiency and the lethargy could be caused by illness. You can supplement him while he is sick though but what exact chewable C tablets did you get? How many milligrams and what brand are they? You will most likely need to only give a portion of one tablet.

It is a children's chewable by Nature's Plus, 100 mg.

If you need to supplement, then 1/4 of a tablet is all you need per day.

He is on antibiotic, and he is acting more like himself again, a few hours later. I always thought that giving vegetables every day would take the place of a vit c supplement, but started to get worried when he is acting so un "Buddy" like. He isn't the most active guy, and is pretty laid back, but he was hiding in his hidey and not moving at all. (he is recovering from a broken hip, but hasn't acted like this since he hurt it) I separated him from his cage mate again, and have him resting up. (they are next to each other though) He was crawling all over my arm when I brought him fresh hay, so I feel better now. He is getting his vegetables in a few minutes, and should be even happier...

How did he break his hip? That's not a common injury.

While being put back down in the cage, wrangled out and landed funny. It wasn't even a far drop, just hit it wrong. He is doing very well. He is back to himself this morning, I am so happy to report. He is lively again. Like I said before, he is pretty laid back. He does love to be petted. We can stroke his back while he is eating hay and he kind of falls to one side in total relaxation and starts kind of purring. His cage mate, Spike, on the other hand is the wild one of the two. He never stops moving, and really has taken on the personality of a little brother. I separated them again because Spike is so active, I think Buddy still needs time to just rest his leg. Thanks for all your input.

Poor baby. Glad he's doing better. I would also watch for arthritis in him as he ages since he did have a break to his hip.

Thanks. He had me so worried yesterday. My daughter is his caretaker, and a darn good one, but if something happens to him, we will be devastated. Can they get "attached" to people. I question that, but he really does seem to miss it when we aren't cuddling him. He goes so limp when we start rubbing his back. Like he is just so content.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.