Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Vet says NOT to Neuter?!?

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
So as some may know, I have been looking for a Texel guinea pig for quite some time. Well I finally found a male. The owners only demand ( for lack of a better word) is that he gets neutered before he leaves, since I have 2 girls. I have no issue with this, except I called my vet yesterday to ask her about costs, and she said she wont neuter or spay pigs for health reasons.
She said she will find the exact ration, but that more pigs die versus live during the procedure due to complications, and its not worth the risk.
Anyone else ever heard of this?
How scary I could have gotten a pig only to have it die because of what I had to do!

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
Obviously I know, all surgeries have risks, but that more die than live? Why would anyone put their pig through that risk?!?

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I don't think that's true at all. Think about it, there are some rescue, even ones whose owners have accounts on here I believe, who spay or nuter every single pig they get into the rescue. They would not do that if that many of them could not survive the surgery. Personally, I would look for another vet.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I agree, find another vet maybe one with more confidence. I have had issues with some vets been too nervous to do surgery on small animals.

Mowgs

Cavy Slave
The rescue I got my female piggy from spays/neuters everyone before they can be put up for adoption.

That being said, I have an intact male that I don't plan on neutering. I haven't really talked to my vet about any health issues he might face, but I know they are fewer risks than there are for intact females. Also, my rescue advised me against neutering since I already bonded with my male piggy. He didn't give me a reason but I'm assuming it's due possibility of losing them during the surgery and post op complications.

You will definitely need to find an experience vet because these procedures in piggies are more complicated than they are in cats and dogs (heck, as a 1st year vet student, I'm neutering my first cats next Saturday). Also, you have a higher chance of post op infection since the piggies are closer to the ground.

https://www.guinealynx.info/links.html#neutering

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think you need a new vet. It's true that all surgeries carry risks, but they're usually minimal unless it's for the removal of a tumor that has attached itself to the innards or is part of an organ, or if the pig is in poor health, or some other situation that doesn't apply to your pig. A good vet and good post-op care should see your pig come through with flying colors.

Neutering a male is a far less invasive surgery than spaying a female.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think a good part of the risk of neutering is post surgical. Rescues that routinely neuter know how to handle post op care and have experience with surgical wounds. I had my male neutered and followed all the post op care and he still developed an abscess a few weeks after surgery. I didn't even realize it was abscessed until some blood came out of the corner of the incision. Personally, I don't think I'd neuter another male. My neutered male lives with a senior male now since he got along better with him than the females.

BunnysAndPiggys

Cavy Slave
I don't know why they would say that. If you didn't spay or neuter animals, they would keep breeding. And hundreds. Thousands of animals Are being destroyed. Go to another vet.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't know why they would say that. If you didn't spay or neuter animals, they would keep breeding. And hundreds. Thousands of animals Are being destroyed. Go to another vet.

It sounds as though this is not an exotic vet or one who hasn't performed a lot of guinea pig neuters. As far as keeping guinea pigs from breeding, cage guinea pigs separately by gender. Simple. It's a different story with dogs and cats since they aren't caged.

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
She is an aclaimed exotic vet, and the only one in my area for 3 hours ( besides Banfield, whom I refuse to go to, their exotic vet is only their once a month and only does routine vet checks). So thats where I;m at now. I think I'll just wait for a female texel to come along, as this seems way to complicated, and I'd rather not risk any of my pets life OR have any more babies.

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
@BNCavy91 - it sounds to me like she's had a really negative (or a few) experiences neutering and spaying guinea pigs and just has chosen not to do it. I would say that if she's not comfortable doing them for personal reasons she should state she's not comfortable doing so, not discourage someone from spaying/neutering. I totally can respect a vet who refuses to do something she's not comfortable doing - that means she's not willing to put your animal at risk for the sake of looking good.

Do you have any rescues nearby? I would say contact them and just ask where they go for neutering/spaying - I know many rescues will neuter their males in order to partner them up with females.

I would talk to the family who has this texel - maybe if you can confirm you have an appointment somewhere they will allow you to take him for a few weeks pre-surgery to get comfortable with his new surroundings. I'm just thinking it would be terribly frightening to have him go to the vet and then home to recover somewhere he's never been before! Kudos to them for stipulating a clause that stops the possibility of breeding - you don't see that often!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.