Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Very underweight pig - cystitis/diarrhea/URI symptoms - help!!

CritterCraze

Cavy Slave
Re: Sounds like stuffy nose?

You need to get this pig to the vet NOW. Stop typing and asking questions and get the poor thing in to a qualified veterinarian stat.

I understand the urgency but you're acting like I've known this for days instead of an hour or two (that being the diarrhea part). I just noticed he was a bit light 3 days ago and was skinny last night. All these symptoms have been within LESS then 18-20 hours. I'm typing to KNOW what to do not to be told that since I didn't call 911 I'm a moron. Sorry but when you say "stop typing and asking questions and get the poor thing" to a vet, it comes off sounding a bit rude like I don't feel for "the poor thing".

Also, since this is the same pig there's no reason for you to have started a separate thread on it. Keeping all the info in one thread helps to keep track of symptoms.

The reason I started another thread is because you can't edit threads. In other pet forums as info comes I update the title of the post in order to inform members there was an edit and a change in the symptoms etc. I would have changed "cystitis" to "stuffy nose" to "diarrhea". I figured since it was a totally different symptom a totally different thread would be helpful in getting help faster. Instead of people thinking they already supplied help to the person with the cystitis/weight problem and not know that they maybe able to help out with newer problems coming up. They really should change the edit feature it is not helpful at all.

That being said I was going to ask for this thread to be moved to the medical sub-forum from nutrition. It went from small to a larger problem so at first you could see why I thought there would be a simple solution.

Also he's not making that noise anymore I think it may have just been something he cleared. Still will look out for strange noises. It was only for a moment and I ran upstairs to post.

That said, I cannot stress enough that this poor pig needs veterinary care immediately.

Again it went from something I thought would be fixed simply to something that needed treatment. So yes a vet is needed and I could see if it has been days but it's only been a short period of time. So don't respond like I'm neglecting Keagan. I did mention he seemed a little light 3-4 days ago. But it's only been less then a day that I started noticing more.

With all that said I do appreciate your (all of your) concern and help. I called the vet and explained they advised me to get acidophiles. To keep a very close eye on him to feed dry foods only and to keep the cage as clean as possible. To bring him in asap if things seem the same or worsen.

I gave him the first dose and luckily he likes it, he also likes his metacam. I took out all the veggies and hope to see some improvement I'll keep you posted.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
If you don't weigh your piggies weekly, please start.

CritterCraze

Cavy Slave
If you don't weigh your piggies weekly, please start.

Thank you for editing your post. It upset me that so many have gone to criticizing me for what is hard already. I just got out of the emergency room myself a week ago. I have discovered I have heart arrhythmia and was told to stay away from stress as it could set off my heart. I have not been able to sleep tonight due to worry of Keagan's health because of all the negative feedback. And THAT is detrimental to my health, if I go he goes. I have consulted a vet, so lay off. This has been the summer of hell. I have lost one pig basically due to old age but I left sobbing and horrified and now I am being attacked like I don't care. I'm not even fully healthy at this point myself. And in no way am I putting Keagan in harms way. He is just as important. It doesn't help that you make me out to be some sort of "oh it's just a guinea pig" type of person. My heart weighs heavy on this. I love him and it sucks for coming here for help I get so much grief. Now because of this I am stuck restless when I should be sleeping. My heart condition is serious and this is not helping me or Keagan. I consulted a vet and that's that. To continue harshing on me is not good for me or Keagan, so please stop. Thank you very much.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
No one is harshing on you. We all just want your piggie to be well like you do! Too many times I see people in denial about how sick their piggies are and wait a day to late because they think it will resolve it self. Well piggies don't resolve themselves usually. I'm glad you consulted a vet. I'm sorry about your older piggie as I know that's hard to deal with. Take care of yourself and if you're having health problems consider asking someone to help you take care of them.

We all care about your piggies as much as you do.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave

I understand the urgency but you're acting like I've known this for days instead of an hour or two (that being the diarrhea part). I just noticed he was a bit light 3 days ago and was skinny last night. All these symptoms have been within LESS then 18-20 hours.
Actually, what I was specifically thinking of was the weight loss. As I've said many times here before, by the time you are able to visually and physically observe weight loss in a guinea pig, it's very serious. Sometimes, unfortunately, weight loss can be the only sign of illness. That the pig also now has secondary symptoms only strengthens my feeling that you need to get him in straight away and stop wasting time looking for answers on the internet.

I'm typing to KNOW what to do not to be told that since I didn't call 911 I'm a moron.
What to do is take him to the vet. I'm sorry, but at this point that really is the only answer.

As for starting a new thread, asking a question to address a single symptom really won't always get you the help you need. In this case particularly, there are more symptoms than just a stuffy nose and it's important for people to understand that there are also other symptoms as well. If you really feel you need to update a title, PM a mod and we'll change it for you.

Again it went from something I thought would be fixed simply to something that needed treatment. So yes a vet is needed and I could see if it has been days but it's only been a short period of time.
Each of the symptoms alone, including and especially the weight loss, warrant a vet visit.

As has been recommended, I strongly suggest you buy a kitchen scale and start weighing weekly.

Now, I have two questions. First, what is the age of this pig? And second, what did the vet suggest the Metacam for?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave

The reason I started another thread is because you can't edit threads. In other pet forums as info comes I update the title of the post in order to inform members there was an edit and a change in the symptoms etc.
You could have private messaged a moderator asking for the title to be updated instead. One of us would have done that.

You posted about the weight issues and cystitis before I left for New Orleans. With new symptoms coming to light in a short span, that should have alerted you to something more going on. There is only so much we can do on the forum. New symptoms would call for a visit to the vet.

I don't think Paula was intentionally trying to be or sound harsh. It's just that we are concerned for everyone's pigs here. We only want what's best for your pig. Since cavies have a tendancy to go down hill rapidly if they are very ill, I am sure that Paula only told you to get him to a vet now is so that he would not further deteriorate.

I hope you were able to get him in and please update us as to what is going on with him now.

CritterCraze

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. I've been meaning to update you all. Just so busy with work lately.

So the "diarrhea" went away after day one. It may have just been something he ate as it seemed it was only that one time I saw he was a little messy. I did use the acidophiles once a day for 4 days and kept them just on hay pellets and oats. He has been steadily gaining weight and is back on lettuce's. I keep a close eye on both of them I check up on them 3-4 times a day. He is energetic and is perfectly acting his normal self. I was told the stress from the cystitis was most likely the culprit. He was bleeding at one point which is when I started dosing him on the metacam. His previous owner and the vet advised weight loss from an outbreak.

Also I will be getting a scale asap so I can monitor in the future.

Thank you.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If you mean you are feeding raw oats, you might want to cut that out. Oats aren't really something a pig should be eating. Grains are hard for them to digest and generally do more harm than good.

A scale would be a wise investment, the sooner the better.

How are his URI symptoms?

CritterCraze

Cavy Slave
They passed. Only once did I actually see blood. I think it was a day and then recovering from it 2-3 days after. The wetness may have been due to that and not diarrhea the reason I used that term was that his bottom was a bit wet which is obviously not normal. He is dry and I check the bedding and no spotting (of blood). Poops are fine he's dry and clean.

The oats were rolled oats and only gave a tbsp a day for 3 days to help possibly with the weight.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I suggested Critical care earlier in this thread and that is a much better alternative than giving oats.

I am glad you took him into the vet and that he is doing better.

His previous owner and the vet advised weight loss from an outbreak.
An outbreak of what? Sorry if I seem dense here but as usual, I'm half lost and also tired.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.