Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Very picky piggie

bleukarr

Cavy Slave
Scout is picky and grouchy. She eats without hesitation romaine, wheat grass, timothy hay, and alfalfa hay, sparingly. She kinda likes sweet 'tatoes, carrots, apples, and cilantro. But she WILL NOT touch tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini green or yellow, and any kind of bell pepper.
So my question is what the heck do I feed her...
Oh, and she likes fillangies, especially the fingers...:sad:

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
Have you tried cutting the bell peppers in small pieces, and sprinkling them on the pellets? That's how I got my pigs to like them. :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Guinea Pigs are like children. You have to teach them to eat their veges.
My pigs all eat anything apart from zucchinis, So don't know any tricks but I'd just cut up a vege into small pieces and feed them a bit at a time and then gradually give them more of the vege.

applechih

Cavy Slave
What how can your piggy not love tomatoes. Princess will literally rip a tomato out of my hand before getting it in her cage well i cant really help you as Princess is also a very picky eater and i have no problems with Fuzzy

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
All 3 if my girls won't eat tomato either.. Plus they always seem to leave the green peppers for last..

shhhmandy

Cavy Slave
mine is a brat! he stands on top of his housy and "screams" for his food and if i am not quick enough he screams louder and then he bites the bars.
he is picky too he eats cucumber, romaine, spinich, green beans....some times sweet potato. oh and very occassionally watermelon.
he HATES green pepper but will sometimes eat the yellow or red or orange ones.

I have been using the trick of chop them super fine as fine as you can and sprinkle on pellets, it might be working lol

bleukarr

Cavy Slave
Scout takes after me With the tomato thing not the picky part haha

Dawn1

Cavy Slave
Belleau is super picky too. He eats timothy hay like crazy. He refuses to eat pellets but eats some of the stuff in the food mix. He will eat carrots but I only give him 1 smaller one a day. I keep offering him green peppers and cucumbers but he's not having it. I feel like he's not getting the nutrition he needs but he won't eat half the stuff I give him. I've tried chopping it up and sprinkling in food but he still won't touch it. Any ideas??

MollyMouse

Cavy Slave
So strange though, my Piggies love peppers, if they dont have peppers in their breakfast they actually both stand and look at me as if to say, "what are you thinking mommy" its so cute, and they also wont eat more than half a baby tomato each. I also saw that when we had just Molly she wouldnt touch spinach, and once her and Daisy were introduced she started eating it because Daisy got spinach, now they will both tug at the same spinach leaf. Have you tried giving them parsley ? its also very high in vit C??

bleukarr

Cavy Slave
I've got it!!! Mush peppers, mix a smidge of alfalfa and/or timothy hay, wheat grass,couple pellets, mix and give. She seemed to LOVE IT.. well enough to sit in it as well,but what can ya say... I gave her all 4colors and she eats all except the yellow one which she nibble at even once and a while :))

MollyMouse

Cavy Slave
I've got it!!! Mush peppers, mix a smidge of alfalfa and/or timothy hay, wheat grass,couple pellets, mix and give. She seemed to LOVE IT.. well enough to sit in it as well,but what can ya say... I gave her all 4colors and she eats all except the yellow one which she nibble at even once and a while :))

thats really great, so happy she is eating it.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
mine is a brat! he stands on top of his housy and "screams" for his food and if i am not quick enough he screams louder and then he bites the bars.
he is picky too he eats cucumber, romaine, spinich, green beans....some times sweet potato. oh and very occassionally watermelon.

Potatoes shouldn't be fed to piggies, they are poisonouse to them. Unless sweet potatoes are different I'm not sure about that one.

I have been using the trick of chop them super fine as fine as you can and sprinkle on pellets, it might be working lol

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave

Potatoes shouldn't be fed to piggies, they are poisonous. Unless sweet potatoes are different I'm not sure on that one.

Edit: sorry double post Internet playing up.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@guineapigs2468, sweet potatoes are fine -- they're just high in sugar and shouldn't be fed often.

But please check your information before making a recommendation.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
@guineapigs2468, sweet potatoes are fine -- they're just high in sugar and shouldn't be fed often.

But please check your information before making a recommendation.

Sorry bpatters, like I said unless sweet potatoes are different I'm not sure on that one. But sorry again for mentioning it.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
All 3 if my girls won't eat tomato either.. Plus they always seem to leave the green peppers for last..

My girls, on the other hand, seem to really like cherry tomatoes (just like their owner ;)). The first time, they were trying it out, but finished it all within 10 minutes. The second time, they treated it as if it was a carrot (their favourite treat). They grabbed the cherry tomato from me and retreated to different hidies, away from each other. And when one was done first, she would go to the other to see if her sister have any to steal from. (Naughty, greedy girls)

And they seem to like all kinds of bell peppers.

But they won't touch strawberries or blueberries after their initial taste testing.

Peaches are alright, but they don't really like them much. And since peaches are high in sugar, it really doesn't matter if they get it or not.

Green and romaine lettuce (I stopped giving them romaine) are good with them.

Parsley and cilantro are the last to be eaten, whenever I give them some.

I haven't tried other veggies and fruits yet. But I would.

I typically just spread their veggies all over their cage, like a savager hunt. They seem to like it, and are able to find every single one of their veggies.

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
My girls, on the other hand, seem to really like cherry tomatoes (just like their owner ;)). The first time, they were trying it out, but finished it all within 10 minutes. The second time, they treated it as if it was a carrot (their favourite treat). They grabbed the cherry tomato from me and retreated to different hidies, away from each other. And when one was done first, she would go to the other to see if her sister have any to steal from. (Naughty, greedy girls)

And they seem to like all kinds of bell peppers.

But they won't touch strawberries or blueberries after their initial taste testing.

Peaches are alright, but they don't really like them much. And since peaches are high in sugar, it really doesn't matter if they get it or not.

Green and romaine lettuce (I stopped giving them romaine) are good with them.

Parsley and cilantro are the last to be eaten, whenever I give them some.

I haven't tried other veggies and fruits yet. But I would.

I typically just spread their veggies all over their cage, like a savager hunt. They seem to like it, and are able to find every single one of their veggies.

One of my girls.. Lola.. Finally ate a cherry tomato!! Yay!!

aamfarris

Cavy Slave
I couldn't get any of mine to eat anything except cherry tomatoes at first (Not even carrots! :eye-poppi), but I started sprinkling very fine pieces of bell pepper on their pellets. They didn't touch them at first and would still somehow find a way to eat around them! Then one morning I looked in their bowl and they were gone. lol They still don't eat them right away if there are other options. I leave them in their bowl overnight usually and that's when they gobble them down. I didn't think of making a mush. I might have to try that.

Momma2000

Cavy Slave
I have found my boys to a little picky... the don't like celery or chard. One doesn't like carrots, but they all loved eggplant...crazy piggies

And, I know they can only have chard and carrots once a week or so, but I have been giving them tiny pieces of different things to see what they like. Tonight, they will have beets.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
I'm quite lucky with my piggies, they eat nearly every veggy I give them. I think if I gave them a rock they would eat it, not that I ever would. But all 6 of them love their food.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.