Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection URI Help

snickers

Cavy Slave
I noticed tonight during floor time that one of my pigs has a crusty nose sign of URI. I held her up to me and she is wheezing a little bit, she has been eating and drinking normal.
I called the vet right away to make an appt, but they are closed right now and I will call once they open up so I can make an apt for tomm.

My question is do I need to bring just this pig in, or should I bring the other one in as well since she lives with this one?

Also, what causes URI's?

Thanks for the help!

You may want to bring both pigs in as they are living together.

I do not know why URI's start I would like to know as well.

I believe URIs are caused by bacteria, that's why they need an antibiotic. I think it's at least worth getting the other pig checked out. I would assume with one being sick, it's like sharing a bedroom with someone who's sick, very hard not to get it in such close quarters. Someone more experienced may know more. Hope all goes well. Just remember to make sure they keep eating and drinking. Keep us updated.

I don't know how people with big herds get there pigs checked if one gets sick. For example people with 4 or 6 pigs. If one gets sick, do they really take all of them in the vet at the same time?
That's a big vet bill.

URI's are caused by Bacteria? What kind, is it from the bedding, or something?

Illnesses like URI's are caused by bacterias, the same types that give us illnesses. Bacteria are present everywhere. Bacteria can be transferred by touch or it can be airborne. There are good types and bad types of bacterias.

You really don't need to take in both pigs at this point. If one has it, there is a chance the other could get it but just monitor the 2nd pig and if it shows signs then you can consult the vet for the other pig. There is also no need to separate the pigs because it's already been exposed to what the other one has.

I have an apt for today in a little bit. The vet even said I don't have to take in the other one just the one that is showing signs. Just monitor the other one like you said Ly.

When Buddy had his URI the vet had me put both on antibiotics because even though Baby had no symptoms he'd been exposed. I took both, I figured it would be less scary for them being together then apart.

Well I am back..they gave me some baytril to give snickers.
I am not used to pills though, they ran out of the liquid form.
The dr. said give 1/4 tablet of baytril twice a day.
Does this sound right? The pills are 22.7 MG each

The only thing I didnt like about what the dr said was...if she doesnt eat it as is, then take some pineapple juice, crush up the 1/4 tablet and syringe feed it.

Then...on top of that the dr said give snickers some yoggies treats for probiatics (sp?) since the baytril will take some good bacteria out of her stomach.

This does not sound right to me at all!

Can you give me advice, at least the dr gave the correct type of medicine for a URI, just not sure about this 1/4 tablet size.

Thanks for the help!

No yogurt. Cavies are lactose intolerant.

Absolutely NO yogurt. Use Benebac. You can purchase it from a pet store. I was able to buy it from pet supplies plus. Also, check with your vet. Many vets carry this. If your vet does not, call around to other vets if you can't find it in a petstore. While your pig is on baytril, be diligent on the dosing schedule. Things to be aware of...when a pig is on an antibiotic, it will cause some GI upset and loss of appetite. Be prepared to syringe feed your pig. There is a chance you'll need Critical Care if you pig stops eating. If you find your pig not drinking (measure his water intake) be prepared to syringe water. Most importantly, monitor his poo's. If you find he stopped pooping, call the vet immediately. It annoys me when a vet can't compound a medication. It reduces the likeliness that the animal will recieve the correct amount of medication. I had a vet that only prescribed medication in pill form and found it difficult to give. I called another vet and they were will to compound it for me.

It has been 7 days since I have brought snickers to the vet. No signs of URI anymore, when can I introduce the baby that has been in quarantine to them?
She is 1 week over the recommended quarantine because of the URI incident.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.