Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding UPDATE!!! Bonding Boars, Day 6- Trouble in Paradise?

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer
I wanted to update everyone on the 6 month old boar, Teddy I adopted last Friday. The two boys are still trying to figure out who the boss is. They chase each other, chatter teeth, kick toys and dig on the fleece like a charging bull. Of course most of those things are done my the older boar, Ziggy.
When I was holding Teddy last night I noticed that he has a slit in his ear, like a snakes tongue. My huband was holding Ziggy and also noticed a slit in his ear, it looked fresher and was scabbing up. It broke my heart to see them wounded and once my husband saw the pigs ears he was definately ready to seperate them for good. The cage is a 2x4, with 2 of everything and I do not have the room to make it any bigger at this time until we build the wood base to extend the females and the males cages.
Questions...
1) Is it normal for them to still be figuring out who the boss is on day 6?
2) Should I seperate them and only let them be together at floor time?
3) My husband read last night that if you have the females cage right next to the males cage it can cause fighting between the males. Is this true?

The internet has so many different opinions (pros & cons for having two boars) that I wanted to hear from guinea pig experts who have gone through the male bonding process.

I would try to expand it in some way, boars require a lot of room to get along. If that isn't an option and they are physically injuring each other I would seperate them.

I would try to expand it in some way, boars require a lot of room to get along. If that isn't an option and they are physically injuring each other I would seperate them.

I wouldn't say they were injuring each other. There hasn't been any blood, just the nips on the ears. I was thinking about adding an upper level for them to escape if they need too. I can build up not out.

My husband just caught them in a full on rumble. They were rolling around on the floor, luckily he broke it up befopre they bit each other. My husband got bit though. I told him to always use a towel to seperate them. He is dividing the cage for now until I get home and figure out what to do. I have a feeling that thery are both dominant and won't concede either way.

How old is Ziggy? You may need to wait until Teddy is past adolescence...Did you try a buddy bath?

How old is Ziggy? You may need to wait until Teddy is past adolescence...Did you try a buddy bath?

Ziggy is about a 1 and Teddy is 6 months. I gave them baths seperate so they smelled alike but not together. I just found out from the person I adopted Teddy from that he already had ther cut in his ear, so that means that the new pig (Teddy) bit Ziggy.

Is it wrong to keep them in seperate cages. I just can't stand to give the new one up.

Teddy is more then likely going though adolescence. If it was me I'd keep them separate until he is around 8 months or older.

Teddy is more then likely going though adolescence. If it was me I'd keep them separate until he is around 8 months or older.

Thank you for the advice. We will do that. Are boars more dominant when they are going through puberty?

1. It's totally normal for them to still be acting this way. Sometimes it takes weeks.
2. No, I wouldn't separate them yet. And even if you do, do not put them together for floor time.
3. Yes, females in the cage right next door can cause fighting in males. It's best to have them where they can't see each other.

Things would go much better if the girls were in another room. Or at least on the other side of the room. Anywhere they can't see each other. Things would also go much better with a bigger cage, although pigs who get along well do fine in a 2x4. Can you put an offset 2x3 on top?

It's not that males are more dominant, it's just that they are trying more to become the dominant one. Females around can make things more difficult, because the hormones are raging and the desire to mate will escalate things.

I don't know that "waiting it out" would work in this instance, with the girls there.

Although you don't mention that they are within viewing distance of each other?

1. It's totally normal for them to still be acting this way. Sometimes it takes weeks.
2. No, I wouldn't separate them yet. And even if you do, do not put them together for floor time.
3. Yes, females in the cage right next door can cause fighting in males. It's best to have them where they can't see each other.

Things would go much better if the girls were in another room. Or at least on the other side of the room. Anywhere they can't see each other. Things would also go much better with a bigger cage, although pigs who get along well do fine in a 2x4. Can you put an offset 2x3 on top?

It's not that males are more dominant, it's just that they are trying more to become the dominant one. Females around can make things more difficult, because the hormones are raging and the desire to mate will escalate things.

I don't know that "waiting it out" would work in this instance, with the girls there.

Although you don't mention that they are within viewing distance of each other?

The girls' cage is right next to the boys cage. I have already seperated them because of the bite marks they have left on each other. I started a new thread on cages to get help and ideas, since I will be doing a 2x6 for the boys (seperated) and a 2x6 for the girls. One on top of each other.

I would move the girlies out the way. That definitely won't be helping and expanding on the boar's space will help too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.