Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Trimming Nails?

Pookie

Cavy Slave
I noticed my piggie's nails need a trim, or at least I think they need trimmed. How long should they be? How do I trim them? I have a cat nail trimmer tool, will that work? I'm so afraid I will trim them to low or hurt her! :eek:hmy:

Thanks for the help!:)

Nail clippers for cats work fine. If the nails are starting to curl then they definitely need to be trimmed. I remember one member saying that her pigs nails were about 1cm when trimmed to a good length.
If your pigs nails are clear the you should be able to see the quik, so as long as you dn't go too near that you'll be fine. Keep some corn starch or fine coffee grounds to hand in case you do catch the quik.

I use human nail clippers. It is really easy, like cats, you can see the quick, and don't cut it, so only trim where the nail is clear, on dark nails a flashlight can help.

However, cut the nail like you would if it was your own. What I mean by this is don't put it in side ways or you may crush nail that should be left intact and hurt the quick. Place the nail into the trimmer with the bottom of the nail against the bottom of the trimmer, kind of like this:

____
/\
____

and not this:

__
>
__

the straight lines being the nail clipper top and bottom, the triangle the nail itslelf.

Perhaps guinealynx has some better info??

EDIt: Added: If they are really long, and you are really afriad, just trim a bit, and the quik should move back, and in a few days, trim a bit more...

Pookie said:
I noticed my piggie's nails need a trim, or at least I think they need trimmed. How long should they be? How do I trim them? I have a cat nail trimmer tool, will that work? I'm so afraid I will trim them to low or hurt her! :eek:hmy:

Thanks for the help!:)

Oh, thank you so much for replying! Her nails are black, and they are just beginning to curl a little bit. Not super bad or anything. I've been keeping my eye on them. Glad you mentioned having corn starch or coffee grounds nearby in case I cut too close. As, I had forgotten that works for stopping the bleeding! Thanks!

Oh, thanks for answering on how to use the clippers, or nail trimmer, as that was going to be my next question!:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.