Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abscess treatment question

Wubymom

Cavy Slave
Our older pig (about a year now) has an abscess under his chin.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had success with watching and seeing. He is active as ever and eats plenty.

I am not opposed to a vet visit (we are about 3 minutes away from THE cavy vets in the state.) However, they only lanced it last time and gave us antibiotics. It healed slowly, but nicely. I an typically a low-intervention person anyway. Husband is home all day and as in tune with the boys as I am, so I know that he would pick up if there was something off.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Abscesses generally don't respond well to watching and waiting, in my opinion. Usually if they're just lanced, you get sent home with instructions to flush it several times a day.

The other thing is, it could be lymphadenitis, which is pretty contagious and can go through a whole herd. If it were me, I'd take him back and ask for a little more aggressive treatment this time.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Ditto bpatters, an abscess is better off treated than watching and waiting. It is prudent to have the abscess cultured in case it is a real nasty bacteria in there. Waiting and watching can turn into watching an abscess burst and having a big issue on your hands.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.