Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Traveling with a pig.... ??

its_bug

Cavy Slave
Hi every one ;)

In about two months me and my mom are moving to oregon from alaska... I have 1 guinea pig, Jozie, and to get her to oregon she has to go on the plane with me to seattle, but from there we're gonna drive... i'm not sure what the best way to do this is without freakin her out to bad so if you have any advice it would be GREATLY appreciated :) i was thinkin to that maybe if i got her a buddy it would help with the stress:).. I'm pretty sure im gonna take her on the plane with me, you how some people have their cats or little dogs in bags or kennels and put them under the seat, i'll probably do that...

Thanks a bunch,

Megan:)

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't get her a friend unless you can introduce them a while before your trip, it may just add more stress if they are too close together. My pigs love being in the car just don't have the heat on (the smell can get to them) if you need the heat make sure a window is always cracked. Make sure to bring some veggie treats.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Hmmmmm....well I'm not an expert at traveling with your pig, but I would hold her carrier so that she doesn't really feel the plane move so that she doesnt get queezy or so, and getting her a friend would deffinetly be a good decision. As said im not an expert so this is all I could give ya.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah I forgot to add I'm not sure about getting her a friend until you arrive because they would be cramped in a carrier together, and that would cause stress.

its_bug

Cavy Slave
Well I still have like 2 and a half months untill we move cause my mom's gonna let me finish my school year before we move so wouldn't they have enough time to be good friends or am i totally wrong about this???

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Yes, they probably would, its just they would be cramped in a small carrier, and that could cause stress, so see what other people say about this!

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Two and a half months is long enough to quarantine and introduce pigs as long as you get the other one soon. And also, while traveling, instead of giving them their water bottle, you should give them lettuce and other watery vegetables(not iceberg) to keep them hydrated, just a tip.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You need to call the airline you will be traveling on (or have your parent do it) and find out what you have to do to take the pig on the plane. Don't assume you can just stuff it into a purse or bag and sneak it on the plane.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.