Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Toy and Materials Safety

kawaiimiyo

Cavy Slave
I was hoping to find a thread that might have an actual list of toys or materials that are either safe, or unsafe to use in a guinea pig cage... Rather than seeking each item out one by one but didn't see anything like that.

I am going to be making some random toys and things for my piggy, And I was wondering if anyone could tell me if any of these items are safe, or have safe alternatives, or what to watch out for?

-Glue (I know people give their piggies paper towel rolls, those have glue, is there a 'safe' type of glue I can use for cardboard?)

-Tape (Is there any safe tape available? Packing tape ? Duct tape?

-Rope (For hanging or stringing things?)

-Buttons (If well secured? Plastic? Wooden?)

-Ink or paint (or any coloring materials? Is there *anything* with ink on it deemed safe? like cereal boxes ? would childrens non-toxic markers be safe?)

-Fuzzy stuff (Stuffed animals? Fuzzy , shaggy or chenille type materials that may be 'pulled' at?)

-Wood (Is un-finished the same as un-treated? If I want to buy a wooden toy for my piggy how can I tell if it is safe?)

And is there some sort of "Rule of thumb" that I can apply when shopping or crafting for my guinea pig cage? For example, if it's safe for a 1 year old to put in their mouth can I assume it's safe for a guinea-pig? (thinking of markers, patches or things like buttons) If it is "non-toxic" for children for example?

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
-Glue (I know people give their piggies paper towel rolls, those have glue, is there a 'safe' type of glue I can use for cardboard?)
You can get non-toxic "kid-safe" glues, it wouldn't be particularly healthy for them to consume but it'd be better than toxic glue.

-Tape (Is there any safe tape available? Packing tape ? Duct tape?
Tapes are packed with chemicals, I'm not aware of any safe ones.

-Rope (For hanging or stringing things?)
Rope should be fine, it's used in a ton of different guinea pig toys. You can make a "fleece rope" by cutting three long squares of fleece and braiding them.

-Buttons (If well secured? Plastic? Wooden?)
Yep, if you can find a way to secure it (Which may prove itself as challenging). Make sure the buttons are large and don't pose as a choking risk.

-Ink or paint (or any coloring materials? Is there *anything* with ink on it deemed safe? like cereal boxes ? would childrens non-toxic markers be safe?)
You can get soy-based inks (They use them to print newspaper).

-Fuzzy stuff (Stuffed animals? Fuzzy , shaggy or chenille type materials that may be 'pulled' at?)
I'd say no, could be torn apart and consumed which could lead to deadly health issues (Like blockages).

-Wood (Is un-finished the same as un-treated? If I want to buy a wooden toy for my piggy how can I tell if it is safe?)
I'm fairly certain they're the same thing. Make sure all colored woods use pet-safe dyes.

Kudos to you for making your own toys and not buying pet-store junk, good luck! Make sure you post some pictures of your creations.

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
I'm fairly sure most forums have said to get a lone pig a stuffed animal to cuddle...just watchfor too much wear n tear n dirtiness. :) and don't use yarn. I was told emphatically no yarn cuz they would tear it apart and choke on long strands.

RandomCavy

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure stuffed animals are safe, as long as they don't have any loose strings. Until I get my piggy a friend, I have been giving him stuffed animals to cuddle :)

Mellisenda

Cavy Slave
The wood has to be untreated kiln dried pine. Nothing else, not just unfinished.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
The wood has to be untreated kiln dried pine. Nothing else, not just unfinished.

Or untreated aspen. That is what my cage is made from

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.