Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Tofuturkey, Kale alternative

charliespet

Cavy Slave
Anyone tried tofuturkey? My sister just bought some and she liked it. Opnions on tofu products? I'm commited to eating no commercial slaughter house bought meat. Actually no beef or poultry or pork unless its 100 percent organic and free range. I also prefer Kosher meat products. Anyway, I am not in a town with an organic program for meat, so I literally have been forced to be almost completely vegetarian, and its actually not bad.

I read an article the other day about how Kale is a great nutritional subsitute for beef. Anyone else heard this?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Kale is NOT an great nutritional substitute for beef if you have blood clotting problems. It's very high in vitamins A (200% of the daily recommended amount) and K (nearly 700 times the recommended daily amount) in cup of chopped raw kale. That translates to probably less than half a cup of cooked kale. Anyone taking coumadin or warfarin has to severely restrict kale intake.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
I like tofurky products but not the tofu-turkey. My fav is their tofu bratwurst, its amazing with grilled onions!

charliespet

Cavy Slave
good to know! I am not on any medications or anything tho...I eat a lot of kale, esp in zuppa!
Kale is NOT an great nutritional substitute for beef if you have blood clotting problems. It's very high in vitamins A (200% of the daily recommended amount) and K (nearly 700 times the recommended daily amount) in cup of chopped raw kale. That translates to probably less than half a cup of cooked kale. Anyone taking coumadin or warfarin has to severely restrict kale intake.

horsenkat

Cavy Slave
I live on tofurky! Not kidding. XD It's yummy. Plus, I hate Kale. :3

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
The brats are the best, a little high in calories but really yummy.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I love tofurky :) I eat it everyday in my school lunch (I'm a bit of a nerd haha). I've never tried any other tofurky products, nor have I seen any, with the exception of the tempeh bacon.

It's good to know, with the kale. I may have a blood clotting disorder, and my blood is supposedly thick. Although I bleed easily. I may not have the two disorders though, I still need to be tested.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Kale is good, but make sure you have a good source of protein - beans are great, such as black beans, chickpeas/garbanzo beans, kidney beans - think soup / chili / stew / falafel etc. Quinoa is a super great grain - get it if you don't have it already! It has a ton of amino acids (proteins). Replacing rice, pasta, etc with quinoa is a great way to boost your protein. Tempeh (soy with whole grains) and seitan are other sources of protein. Personally, I go for beans 50% of the time, ethical meat (from a local CSA) 25% of the time, and soy / grain protein 25% of the time. Do try not to rely on soy by itself too much, since that has its problems (search online, I'm not going to detail it here). :)

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.