Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Weekend cage adventure- coroplast alternative?

Blog entry from old forum

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
So, I went out of town this weekend and I used a 2x2 travel cage for Patch and George and a 2x1 for Charlie.
Based on my plans they were supposed to be in those cages for one night and then I was going to use a shower curtain for a 2x6 for George and Patch and a 2x3 for Charlie.
Well, due to hazardous weather conditions I was not able to go to the location with where I could expand the cages.
And less than 20 minutes after I got to the first destination George and Patch were at each other. The cage simply did not allow them enough room.
Unfortunately, because of the location I did not have the floor space to make the shower curtain cages, but I was desperate to expand George and Patches cage. Since the cage had to sit on top of a couple of night stands, it had to have a solid bottom and I did not have enough grids to make a bottom.
So, I got creative.
Charlie was doing ok in his 2x1, but still it was way smaller than what I would want him in for 3 days. But I found a little plastic utility shelf and was able to take the cage Charlie was in and add it to George and Patches cage to make them a 2x3. Grateful it was enough added space to satisfy them and give them "personal" space.
And I used the grids I had with the utility shelf, a drill, and zip ties and made a cage for Charlie.
It worked great.

Weekend cage adventure- coroplast alternative?Weekend cage adventure- coroplast alternative?Weekend cage adventure- coroplast alternative?Weekend cage adventure- coroplast alternative?

I thought I would share since it may be a great cage alternative for someone. I used towels, fleece and puppy pads int he areas I knew Charlie likes to make pee pee.

I was quick and easy and gave Charlie extra room while I was able to expand the space for George and Patch.

We all enjoyed our weekend but were happy to get home.

Very cool! You are a quick thinker! I would probably have a panic attack if I came into a situation like that!:eek:
Charlie looks like he was very pleased with his travel cage!

He seemed to like it.
After this pic I had to switch out a grid because it was one of those with the huge squares.
Once it was all together he settled right in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.