Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Thoughts on Kaytee Quick & Clean Instant Shampoo?

sfjulie

Cavy Gazer
I've recently bought the Kaytee Quick & Clean Instant Shampoo for guinea pigs and I was wondering if this was a good way to keep your guinea pig clean every now and then. Is it safe as well? Please share your thoughts & thanks!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use instant shampoo, it will leave chemicals on their fur and skin which they'll ingest while grooming themselves.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not a fan of instant shampoos for the same reasons that @pigger123 suggests.

sfjulie

Cavy Gazer
Can you use it for baths if needed? Or even using one spray with super pets shampoo while bathing?

Melissa Soun

Cavy Gazer
look up gorgeous guineas shampoo, its made for guinea pigs and it's so lovely, in the uk though

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can get Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo almost anywhere, and it's inexpensive. I don't think instant shampoos are designed for actual bathing.

emileew00d

Cavy Slave
I use a spray shampoo every once in a while. I always rub it in good so it's not all yucky. But I only use it if there will be people coming over that will be holding him (not often since I don't trust others with my piggy)

piggsters

Cavy Slave
I also sometimes use a small soft toothbrush to clean the "poop shoes" while they are in the bath water.

I never thought of that! Thank you so much!!! And of course, a different toothbrush than the one you use in your mouth.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Warm water and Johnson&Johnson Baby shampoo is the best cleaning method. But only bathe them when they're dirty!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Warm water and Johnson&Johnson Baby shampoo is the best cleaning method. But only bathe them when they're dirty!

Baby shampoo is not the best choice. You want a shampoo that's designed for animals that groom themselves, so one for kittens or small animals is the best. Additionally, human skin is a very different pH level than guinea pigs, so baby shampoo can be drying or irritating to piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.