Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The Warm Weather

Fay

Cavy Slave
Where I live (and probably most of Europa) It's going to be incredibly hot outside today. It's going to be 28 Celsius/82,5 Fahrenheit over here.

The sun shines directly on our appartment most of the day so you can guess it's going to be hotter inside here and obviously I'm worried about whether the pigs or too warm yes or no. So I need some tips.

I know about the freezing bottles, ice popsicles, desktop fans, damp cloths and the slates of stone for them to sit on/lay next to. But I'm afraid that might not be enough... Do you think I should take out a few hidey houses (I have like 6 wooden houses in the cage) as it might be a lot hotter if they lay in there? I also wondered about giving them a quick dip in water to keep them cooler for a few hours during the hottest part of the day till their dry.. but then I'm afraid they could get URI (Although there won't be any drafts as all the doors and windows are open very wide to let as much airflow in as possible...which will not help a whole lot lol).

Any other ideas to keep the pigs cool?

Last edited:
There isn't anything else other than what you know. I bet the forcasters got it wrong anyway but it never hurts to be prepared. Mine suffered 35c last year and they survived last year.

Dipping them in water will only stress them out and upset their skin as they shouldn't get wet too often as it dries the skin out.

If they are longhaired then give the a funky short hair cut like mine get as it gets warmer.

We have been enjoying the weather here in Scotland - but it's been just right - not too hot (though I am worried that if this is what it's like in April - what does the summer hold?!)

My girls have been outside for playtimes, and it has been really pleasant. We are lucky in that the thick sandstone walls of our house keep it quite cool. Apart from what you've mentioned - is it too obvious to close the curtains, to keep the sun out?

I too wouldn't wet the pigs - too risky.

You could set a fan up near the cage so it blows on half of it but they can also get away from it. I think people blow it over a bowl of ice and water so it chills the air even more.

Well we don't have a fan right now and it's sunday.. I'm cooling some bottles and freezing ice cubes.. Hope they will be okay! Thanks for the insight.

It is far too hot where I am (I live up high so lots of sunshine gets in the flat) and the girls got so hot this morning they were wheeking for help :(

We've got all our windows and doors open for a nice draft, frozen bottles in towels, we give them new water frequently, and they're getting nice wet veggies from the fridge.

I think I'm going to have to look into getting a fan, Rosie was so upset with me this morning when I got up - I feel terrible.

Last summer we had a few days where it got over 95 degrees Farenheit INSIDE our house. I don't have Air Conditioning and my house is very old with single paned windows...it was miserable. I used wet wash clothes, frozen water bottles and fans - and yes I did dunk Pilot into water to bring her temperature down. She didn't mind it in the slightest - it was miserably hot in here.

This year I'm going to buy some tiles to put in their pen for added cooling. I think I'll even put a few in the freezer, etc. before putting them in the pen. And of course I'm hoping we don't have that same heat wave....

My son and I were jumping in the cold shower in our underwear and T-shirts in order to stay cool!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.