Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Target Grids, Dangerous yet useful?

kikichugirl

Cavy Slave
We are running out of room to store guinea pig stuff. I often get everything from KM in bulk but there's not enough room. I decided to get a stand to put the cage on, and my hamster can also go under it. Today I returned the plastic table that was too small for it. Then we went out to Target and got these unsafe grids that everyone talks about. They are the same size as my original ones but the spaces are 8 grids across and 5 grids across. So I was thinking, since we aren't using them to go around the cage, can we use it to go under and hold it up? I'm concerned that the fewer spaces may cause it to collapse. Also, the 5 grids one under the coroplast or on the sides under it? We are still going to use safe grids for walls of the cage (of course) but I just want tips or if you agree.
Any additional tips on making the stand not fall apart are appreciated. We do have cable ties to use.

Landonflo

Cavy Slave
That's what we did. They are cheaper and you get more of them. I made the stand and bottom (under the coro) with them and part of our lid. Zipped tied it all together without any connectors since the thickness of the two brands are slightly different and it is as sturdy as anything.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Yes that's what I used mine for as well. And for my bunnies' cage, as well.

kikichugirl

Cavy Slave
That's what we did. They are cheaper and you get more of them. I made the stand and bottom (under the coro) with them and part of our lid. Zipped tied it all together without any connectors since the thickness of the two brands are slightly different and it is as sturdy as anything.

Thanks. My normal grids are from Bed Bath and Beyond. Is there a difference between where you put the 5 grid ones and the 8 grid ones?

No connectors? :) Then I can use them for my top. It likes to fall apart with just cable ties.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
5-hole grids as a stand is a good idea. As to the connectors--I find my constructions are way less stable with the plastic connectors than with lots of tightly pulled zip-ties. I pull them just a little less tight when I want to make hinges for grids that swing open like doors. I think zip-ties are a really great invention. I use them for all kinds of stuff.

kikichugirl

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much to all of you. When I clean the cage tomorrow I will set it up. Thanks so much for your help! I'm glad that there is a cheaper way to find grids and reuse unsafe grids, since I can't find them at Costco even though I've looked through the entire store extremely often. These are so much better than getting the normal grids because my pigs won't be in them and it's a 6 cube set instead of a normal 4 cube set at the same price. I would recommend anyone who wants to use an wire stand to use these, it's cheaper.

Landonflo

Cavy Slave
I tried the connectors but found zip ties to be better. My "cage" grids are from bb and b as well. I just got them with the 20% coupon they mail out every week (it seems) and it made them about $15.

kikichugirl

Cavy Slave
I tried the connectors but found zip ties to be better. My "cage" grids are from bb and b as well. I just got them with the 20% coupon they mail out every week (it seems) and it made them about $15.
Yes I like the cable ties better but the Target ones are 6 cubes while the BB&B ones are only 4 cubes. And I can't use cable ties for the entire thing - this is a problem if I want to transport the cage to my friend's house during vacation.

lissie

Cavy Slave
When I used C&C cage, I used the Target grids for a stand too. I also have Bed Bath and Beyond grids for the cage walls. What I noticed about them is that, the Target grids are thicker. If you chose to use connectors, Target grids cannot fit into BB&B connectors. BB&B grids can fit into Target connectors, but they will be a little loose. And one more thing that I didn't like most after the whole thing was done. The cage had different grids colors, which quite annoyed me. But if you don't mind, they work well.
You'd still need to zip tie them though. Not as much as you would have if you only use zip ties. With the connectors, I only zip tie near the connectors to make sure they don't come apart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.