Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Suspect Mites: where to find ivermectin in Canada

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
You could try contacting Piggles cares or All Creatures Rescue. Both organizations are based out of the Toronto area and someone there may be able to give you some other leads.

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Ok, I will do that later today if I have time or tomorrow morning. Thank you so much for your help!

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
I looked up piggles care just now and it said that they are permanently closed. I’ll check all creatures later.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I was talking to some other piggy people that I know and was suggested to use this website for revolution. Revolution (selamectin) is safe for treating mites in guinea pigs. It requires a prescription in Canada, however this is an Australian based site and no prescription is required in that country. They offer reasonable shipping to Canada but in their experience it takes a couple weeks to arrive. If you go this route there is a dose calculator on guinealynx which I'll include below.

https://www.pets-megastore.com.au/

https://www.guinealynx.info/dose_calculator.html

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your help. I think I’m going to use ivermectin horse paste even though I’m scared to dilute it. I will purchase this one: (broken link removed) I read through the other forums and I will try my best. However, I’m a bit confused because on youtube I was watching saskia from the lA guinea pig rescue and she said to just put a pea sized amount in their mouth. I am supposed to dilute it, right?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
DEFINITELY dilute it. And put it behind the ear rather than giving it orally.

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your reply. I didn’t know you could use the diluted ivermectin paste topically rather than orally, thanks! I thought if you dilute ivermectin paste it had to be given orally. Also, is the ivermectin in the link I posted OK to use? Thanks for all your help!

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Are oral and topical doses the same amount? Where can I find how much to administer topically?

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
I think I will just give it orally, on the other post I saw they said ivermectin paste should be given orally. I just ordered the paste and my mom who is a pharmacist (convenient haha) will help me dilute it. Could there be any side effects? Thanks for all of your help

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
I just checked the shipping and it is going to arrive in a week. :( Will my guinea pigs be fine until then? Like I said before, their coats are still in good shape and they don't have any sore spots or wounds.

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Hello, yesterday I ordered another one from amazon and it arrived today. However, it arrived around 8am and I brought it in at 3pm. Here in Canada it was -20 degrees Celsius and I think the paste froze solid. If it defrosts will it still work properly?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I would check the box for any information on temperature limits or contact the manufacturer for their input.

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
On the box it just says to store at 30 degrees Celsius and below but I will call again later. Also, the markings on the syringe are by 20 kg instead of lbs. To dilute you are supposed to get a 250 lb dose of the paste but I can only get exactly 100 kg (220 lb dose) or 120 kg (264 lb dose). What should I do?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.