Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Super long nails

wbgrafix

Cavy Slave
i had taken my ferdnand out yesterday nd let him run around on the bed for a bit. i noticed that his nails were super long. i felt horrible. i hadnt realzied they had gotten so long. can i cut them myself?? or are they like cats and shouldnt get them cut.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
u should cut their nails when long
or not it will hurt them while walking

gp cage

Cavy Slave
wow

you must never let nails grow to big or your gp will not be to happey with you lol

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
if you are scared about cutting your gps nails too short then you can take them outside and find a piece of concreat or asphalt. if you drag you gp bake it trims their nails. thats what i do with all five of mine. it works like a charm. they dont like it very much though.you can als put a few pieces of brick in your cage. they love to just sit up on them and the rough surface will help keep he nails short.

SpikenCal

Cavy Slave
[take them outside and find a piece of concreat or asphalt. if you drag you gp bake it trims their nails.]

I don't understand why you'd make them uncomfortable like that. The vibration and friction is probably very frightening for them. Plus, it is possible that if you do it fast enough, the friction could generate a lot of heat and be very painful for them.
I have found the easiest way to clip them is to first gently wrap the pig in a towel, my girls are calm when the towel is covering their head loosely, and I put in some carrot or lettuce to distract them. They then let me take their feet and quickly but carefully I clip the nails. Make sure you have a styptic pencil on hand if you do cut too short. If you haven't done it before, ask your vet to show you how. I was afraid at first of doing it and then she showed me the best way to do it.

supertramp

Cavy Slave
colour

Depending on the colour of the guinea pig, you might also be able to see where the nerve is inside the nail by a pinkish line, then all you have to do is cut after the end of that line. My guinea pig is mostly black but she does have white claws on one back foot which is handy for measuring against the others with. With dark claws you can't see the line and it is mostly guess work, but you will easily get the hang of it.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
my vet was the one who showed me how to trim their nails on concreat. they arnt uncomfortable for long. most of my pigs have dark nails so i cant see tthe quick. ive cut them too short too many times. believe me sanding down their nails is much easier and less stressful on the pigs.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Oh My Tashagurl

Find a new vet. That just sounds cruel to me.

I put brick in the cage by the food and water. It helps to wear them down so they don't need trimming.

supertramp

Cavy Slave
Surely cutting their claws is less stressful - you don't have to make a big cut at first, you could just do it by a few millimetres each time so that should you cut too short, you know it will only be by a very small amount and therefore not too much bleeding. It has got to be just as likely to cause pain and bleeding by sanding them too short on the concrete as it is to cut them too short. I think you should just practise cutting them - you'll get more confident each time.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
supertramp said:
Surely cutting their claws is less stressful - you don't have to make a big cut at first, you could just do it by a few millimetres each time so that should you cut too short, you know it will only be by a very small amount and therefore not too much bleeding. It has got to be just as likely to cause pain and bleeding by sanding them too short on the concrete as it is to cut them too short. I think you should just practise cutting them - you'll get more confident each time.
I hope you don't think I SAND them on the brick. If they have to step on the brick on a regular basis, it's is just like a dog who goes for walks on asphalt or concrete. It gradually keeps them from getting too long. This is painless for them because it is only their own weight putting pressure on it, not me dragging them on it.

supertramp

Cavy Slave
Sorry - I didn't mean you. I meant whoever said they put their guinea pigs on concrete and dragged them backwards to trim their nails.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
I stoped, I stoped!Ok. Sheesh.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Thanks SuperTramp!
I just wnated to make sure.

Tashagurl - your last response sounds like you are mad at us. We are only trying to help you understand that what you were doing was wrong. I am just surprised because in many of your posts you say you have had pigs for a while, and was even (GASP!!!) breeding them. I think you need to use this site to really take a look at what is right for these wonderful animals.Sorry to sound preachy.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
No, not exactly mad.I understand exactly where you are coming from. I WAS breeding my pair. As soon as I witnessed first hand what breeding can do to a gp i stopped. Now i take in the ocasional unwanted piggy and find them loving new homes. One of my boys is now nuetered the other is having surgery this week, so no more babies.Just wanted to clarify that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.