Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Such a disapointment

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I was SO excited about finally being allowed to get the all wonderful KM hay. Everyday someone suggests. So I ordered 25 pounds.I got it two days ago.
None of my pigs will even touch the bluegrass, and they barely nibble on the timothy. I'm hoping it will grow on them and they will like it. But as of now, I'm extremely disapointed.

Does anyone know why they may not like it? Will they eventually eat it?

Also, it's really dusty, it does smell great, but the dust from it has me sneezing, this never happened with Oxbow Timothy hay. Maybe it's the bluegrass that's making me sneeze

This sucks.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
I prefer Oxbow over KM. I don't like the shipping, but I tried it and it was really dusty and the pigs didn't like it. They might eventually eat it but for now, you could try finding other uses for it? If they absolutley refuse it, you can start a compost of pig hay and poops :)

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I myself have swichted hay many times before I found one that I liked (I now buy from a local farmer) and each time I changed it my piggies would not touch it for at least a few days. I don't know if this is normal or not, but it seems like it takes them time to develop liking for the new hay.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Most people most of the time, myself included really like KM's hay.

Most people most of the time, myself included really like Oxbow's hay.

Same with APD.

I don't think the occassional problem has anything to do with who is selling it. Hay seasons change. I know for a fact KM does her level best to provide the best quality hay available all the time. Sometimes, mother nature just doesn't cooperate. She goes out of her way to do this. She rescues/fosters guinea pigs. She supports rescues--big time. Knowing the love and effort she puts into getting us the best possible hay, I just don't want to see her lose any business by a casual comment.

On bluegrass, some pigs love it, some pigs are completely indifferent. Mine don't care for it, so I stick with Timothy. Too bad, because I like it. Pigs. What are ya going to do?

pennick

Cavy Slave
The first time I ordered KM's hay it was 3rd cut, the best you will ever find. The last order I tried half blue grass and half 2nd cut timothy since that is all she had. They were not eating the blue grass and the 2nd cut timothy was nothing compared to the 3rd cut. My piggies liked the timothy so I gave them that. After the timothy ran out I just started again giving them the bluegrass. They are eating it since that is all they are going to get. I have another order from KM coming in. This time I only ordered 9 pounds of timothy hoping it will last till about October then I can get the 3rd Cut. Never give up on your piggies when they don't eat anything. If they find that is all there is at the time they may surprise you and go for it.

widallas

Cavy Slave
When we first got our pigs from Amiable Animals, she gave us a large bag of KM hay...the boys just devoured it. We had ordered some Oxbow hay, and decided to switch and see if they liked it....they wouldn't touch it for two days, then gradually started to nibble, and when we introduced both at the same time, actually stuck with the Oxbow and snubbed the KM! I think piggies are like kids, fickle little buggers....they resist a change, and then don't want to change back. I think both smell wonderful, and would be happy with either.....

Plummie

Cavy Slave
I agree with what everyone has said, just keep giving it to them. It can take a few days for them to switch over hays.

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
I did not know KM's profits go to her rescue. I have been trying to decide where I am going to start buying my hay from because I don't want to support pet stores anymore. Now I know where to buy from...KM's! I think I will try out her new pellets too.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Remember how your guinea pigs are with new veggies especially when they haven't had many? Well many are the same way with hay. You switch brands or kinds and it's going to take a week or 2. Mine had oxbow for months and when I got kms hay they wouldn't touch it. It sat in the cage but unlike when I was collecting grassy hay from the back of my alfalfa field that had been overgrown the hay didn't sit there for months. After 1 week they started eating it. Within 1 month they loved it and left less waste than with oxbow hay.

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
My first KM hay order arrived today. Yay! It's half bluegrass and half timothy...both 2nd cut, I believe. Normally my Boys are a little picky about the coarseness of their hay, but they absolutely loved these, especially the timothy. Thanks and Good Job, KM!

jackie ramser

Cavy Slave
After reading all of this, should I mix in current hay with the new ox timothy and sweet grass? I put in the new ox - mixed in both in their hay buckets. I didn't put in any of the other brand that we are switching from.
Please could you give me some advice. I know that when switching from one brand of pellet to another one, you should feed both together so the stomach and such can acclimate to the new brand.

Thanks in advance.

jackie and the boys

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You don't have to mix the hays like you do when switching pellets.

jackie ramser

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the answer. The new hay smells soooooo good and aparently the boys truly like it - there are sooooo much poos this morning, they must have opted to eat last night instead of sleeping.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.