Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Strange things

reyes

Cavy Gazer
My gineapig has been raising his head up for no reason

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

reyes

Cavy Gazer
He is alone. When I look at him or say his name he will raise his head for no reason.

reyes

Cavy Gazer
Can you explain in a little more detail what exactly your pig is doing? Do you have another pig in the cage with him? If so, raising their noses in the air is how they show dominance over another pig. The pig whose nose goes the highest is considered the boss.

If he's not doing it to show another pig that he's the boss he could have something stuck in his throat or teeth. Occasionally one of my pigs will eat too fast and that will cause her to lift her head up and then cough to clear her throat.

If you can give us more information hopefully someone will be able to help.
He is alone.when I look at him or say his name he'll raise his head for no reason.

reyes

Cavy Gazer
Hmm, I wonder if he is just responding to your voice. Have you had him for a while or is he a new pig? Does he seem to be in any distress? Maybe that's just his way of behaving when he hears someone come to his cage.

If he doesn't seem to be distressed or sick in any way I probably would just keep an eye on him but I wouldn't worry too much. If this is a completely new behavior from anything he has ever done before and it continues then you would want to have him seen by a veterinarian.
I just got it him at the end of summer,he also chatters his teeth when I come near him and run away

reyes

Cavy Gazer
That type of behavior is not at all unusual from a pig who is relatively new to your home. Many pigs will run away when you try to get close to them. Even my pigs who have been with me for many years will still run from me when I try to pick them up or even when I try to pet them. I have to chase them into a piggie muff when I want to take them out of the cage. Once they are out of their cage they are much more agreeable to letting me touch them.

I don't know if your plans are to get another pig but that is definitely recommended. Once you have another pig, obviously another male or a spayed female, you will find your piggie to be more relaxed. Once they have a friend they really come out of their shells. They feel much more comfortable having another pig around. Even if they don't bond and become close they enjoy having a friend.
Yeah I might get a girl gineapig or guy don't really known yet plus I just wanted to get him a freind because he seems lonely sometimes.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Yeah I might get a girl gineapig or guy don't really known yet plus I just wanted to get him a freind because he seems lonely sometimes.

If he's not neutered, don't get him a girlfriend (unless the girl is spayed).

Are you sure your guinea pig is a boy?

reyes

Cavy Gazer
If he's not neutered, don't get him a girlfriend (unless the girl is spayed).

Are you sure your guinea pig is a boy?
Yes I'm sure I'll probably get him a freind (guy)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.