Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Wheezing Strange noises! Please help

delilaharcade

Cavy Slave
Last night, my guinea pig was making some strange noises. They are low pitched and sound like they are coming from his nose or mouth. He was making these noises for about 15 minutes. Then he suddenly made a high pitched squeak and then the noises stopped. I caught a little bit of the low noise and the high pitched squeal on video.

At first I thought that he may have had something stuck and was able to dislodge it, but he woke me up this morning with the same noises. He has been doing these noises off and on for a few hours, but I have not heard the high pitched noise again.

Through out all of this, he is still active and eating. His behavior hasn't changed, but I know that guinea pigs usually hide any signs of illness. He's eating, drinking and pooping. Everything looks normal except for this noise.

He is currently on Ketoconazole for ringworm and finished a treatment of Baytril about a week ago for a URI. When he was diagnosed with the URI, he had a runny nose and was sneezing quite a bit. Both of those symptoms have disappeared since the Baytril treatment.

The vet I take them to is not open until Monday morning. I will be calling them ASAP, but I was wondering if any one had experienced something like this before. Any help would be appreciated!

Here is the video: YouTube - What is this noise?

Toadies

Cavy Slave
That truly is unusual. I have no idea what's up. Is there any way that you can show this video to your vet? Although you tried to describe it well, it was not at all what I was expecting to hear. He/she might better be able to help you if he/she could see and hear it for themselves. I'm sure that someone with more piggs and more years of slavery will be able to shed some light on this, so hang on for more replies.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I can't be sure but it sounded to me like he was wheezing a bit and then it sounded like he was choking on something and trying to cough.

I agree, show the video to the vet and see what they think it could be.

aeavvw

Cavy Slave
That sounds like your piggy is panting was it running before making the noise? That might be all but I'd take her to tho vet to be sure. My guinea pig makes wierd noises when excited after running.I hear her whistling not wheesing, whistling. So it could be anything but go to the vet to be sure.

wheekypigs

Cavy Slave
I am jumping in on this thread with the same observation of my piggy.

My Bebe has also made this noise, and same thing - after some time, it stops. Once I heard her actually give a big cough and it stopped. Other times, it just stopped by itself.

In the meanwhile, she seems normal otherwise.

I also have a video of her making the noise, and I have shown it to our vet when I brought her in for examination in June. The vet had cleared her.

Recently, I noticed slightly crusty eyes on a couple of occasions.

She is not as active/adventurous/curious as she was 6 months ago, she spends a lot of time sleeping. While I am not convinced it is UTI because the symptoms seem too long drawn, I have a feeling it might be her lungs somehow.

I intend to bring Bebe back to the vet again soon for either an X-ray or an ultrasound.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
The noise seems to occur during breathing. My best guess would be that it has something to do with the respiratory system. A vet visit should be in order as soon as possible. Make sure to describe the sounds well as it could be a URI. If you don't weigh weekly, start now.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
It sounds like rhonchi. Should have stated that earlier.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I concur, it sounds like it has to do with his breath. I'd ask a vet for more information.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.