Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Store bought cage sell on craiglist and buy c&c cage?? help please!

Cinnamon n Lily

Cavy Slave
hey! my names destiny :) i have two guinea pigs cinnamon and lily . cinnamon ( full adult i believe ) is older i dont know her age sadly and lily being 11weeks old . i have only store bought cages sadly one is very small and the other being very large i feel bad and i want to sell my larger cage for $40 , this cage cost alot .. my mom is convinced c&c cages will never work i need proof also should i sell this cage ? im in a postion to keep them in these cages or sell them an make a c&c cage of course i will put the cages are temporary the larger cage is ( 1.7in high ,and 2.5 ft across ) cinnamon is able to run around freely in this cage but lily has no space to run in her very very small cage.okay but if i make a c&c cage i need to put seperations grids in the middle because they dislike eachother. i need coroplast that will fit my desk my desk measuments are ( 4ft long and 1.5 ft wide ) please help !

lissie

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

The cage you're selling is pretty small. Can you advertise it as rat or hamster cage, so other guinea pigs won't end up in the small cage?

You can show your mom the testimonial page.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/testimonials.php

Are both your pigs female? When you introduced them, was it in an area where none of them have been to?
They may not get along in a small cage. Once you build the new cage, can you try to introduce them again?

Here's info on how to introduce them.
https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

As for the new cage, can you attach plywood or something to make the cage bigger? 4 x 1.5 ft is only 6 sq.ft. The minimum recommended size for one pig is 7.5 sq.ft.

You can get coroplast from these places:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202771364?catalogId=10053
3x6 ft sheet for $13

(broken link removed)
4x8 ft sheet for $10 - $20, call for prices.

Last edited:

Cinnamon n Lily

Cavy Slave
i could fix this by get rid of my desk an just putting them on the ground but that that will give them probably 7 - 9 ft total is this okay i'm wondering if that would make them more pron to getting sick if the cage is more on the ground .. i cant afford to much at the moment wwhen i earn money i will add on for a bigger and playful cage .
also i accedentally did the wrong thing introducing guinea pigs i put them next to each other wail setting up cages bad idea and i also introduced them on my bed .
i reintroduced them in a the play pen there was fairly big room an there was a max of 4 -5 houses and a few tunnels food water hay available and one chew toy .
they ignored eachother and they seemed fine for about 5 - 8 minutes an then they started to attack is what i believe . my mom told me " just let them do that so they know who is dominant " i said no and quickly seperated them because i do not want them eithor to get hurt . if you have any advise on bonding females that dislike eachother it would be helpful , the things i have done before like bathing an washing cages and fleece has not worked do you reccomend anything else ?? thanks for the links :)

Last edited:

Teddyboys

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! :)

When you second time tried to put your pigs together, you did it right, BUT you should have let them deal with their issues on their own. Your mom was right. It looks more cruel to us than it is. If there is no blood etc let them be. Pigs usually always get uppset when they meet new buddy, they need to deal their dominans things on their own. Large space, place to hide for every pig, food and they usually do fine. Screaming, chasing, nipping and so on is normal between every pigs, and specially sows on heat. In cage make sure there is plenty of room too, places to hide, and hay in at least 2 places well away from each other as water bottles too. Every pig needs to have easy access to food and drink.
Oh, pigs do have in their everyday life always some small "fights" they are normal. Do not separate because of them to happend.
Sorry my english.. I hope this helped a little :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You could keep the cage and use it as an isolation cage if one of them gets sick, or as a travel cage if you're going somewhere.

Read www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm -- the introductions section is about halfway down. Your mom is right -- you should leave them alone to work out their issues as long as neither one is being bitten. But I'd wait until I had a larger cage to put them together.

Your larger cage isn't even large enough for one pig, much less two. If you need to convince your mom about C&C cages, show her the pictures in the photo gallery of the jillions of C&C cages there are out there.

Cinnamon n Lily

Cavy Slave
i was thinking of doing what lissie said saying that shouldnt be used for guinea pigs a smaller rodent .

Cinnamon n Lily

Cavy Slave
it wasnt like that , my larger guinea pig cinnamon attacked her , when she opened her mouth it was like a large yawn but for a guinea pig . i saw online when they do ths there going to attack eachother an wont back down until one is dead.. was that the right info or was it wrong??

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
No. They are females. Just let them be. Any animal will do this.

chip123

Cavy Slave
The cage you're selling is pretty small. Can you advertise it as rat or hamster cage, so other guinea pigs won't end up in the small cage?
I don't think she should advertise it as a hamster cage because 1 it is far too small for a hamster and 2 any hamster could easily get out basicly just walking out not even trying

Cinnamon n Lily

Cavy Slave
in recent post i said i was advertising it as a rat or other small animal cage the bars are to small for a hamster to get out. my guinea pig cant even fit her nose in the bars ..

Cinnamon n Lily

Cavy Slave
picture066.jpg this is the cage ..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.