Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning stinky cage

piggy love

Cavy Slave
:importantMy cage has been stiking the day aftr i clean it! i use kayte total comfort bedding and i putsome kind of tan pllet looking things under the bedding to absorb pee nd odor and that WAS working...fyi the pellet things come in a pink bag if any one knows what its called that would be helpful...i just switched over to oxbow organic food maybe thats why?:confused:

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
What size is your cage and how many pigs do you have in it?

2sCompany

Cavy Slave
Fleece cuts down all odor.

I used all kinds of bedding, anything that absorbs i find it smells really bad.

twilightwheek

Cavy Slave
Switch to fleece! I have had it for just a few days (4 I think) and I love it so much. It's so much better than any litters.

cherrytop108

Cavy Slave
Everyone i right!! Fleece is way better and you cant really go wrong=]

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't say that fleece cuts down all odours but it does a pretty good job. When I first got guinea pigs I started with newspaper which did not last as it simply is not absorbent. ThenI went to shavings which were ok, and I was able to remove soiled bits and replace with fresh which lengthened the time between cleanings greatly. However it became very expensive. So I then went to towels. Towels by themselves do NOT work, I was changing the cage twice a day! When I added fleece on top, it worked perfectly and I now get a week between cleanings. I would recommend, if you decide to use fleece, to have a litter tray or kitchen area filled with shavings or 100% recycled kitty litter. In this area you put all of their food - so pellets, hay etc. Guinea pigs tend to go to the toilet where they eat, so by having a kitchen area that you can spot clean daily - the space between cleanings is increased.

However, how big is your cage and how many pigs do you have in it? The smaller the cage the more built up their soilings are which lowers the time between cleanings. So not only is a bigger cage better for the pigs - but it makes it easier for you to!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.