Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

SPITTING noise?!

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
One of my pigs has made this spitting noise twice now. It literally sounds like a llama. I was wondering if anyone else has heard this or knows what it means. I'm taking it to mean "get away from me right now," and "this is my territory."

Just kind of shocking when I heard it.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Had he eaten recently? He may have gobbled down his food too quickly.
I've also heard a sort of "hack" sound when my GPs are at the water bottle and it goes down the wrong way.

Are you sure it's not a sneeze?

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
I don't think it was any of that, because I had let my cats into the room (cage was closed, of course) and the pigs were not afraid of the kitties at all, but maybe he was saying "beware."

It could've been those, because he had eaten about an hour before, and had some pellets and nibbled on an apple. It wasn't a sneeze though, I've heard them do that already, and it didn't sound like that.

It was just shocking, is all.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Maybe a cough or like Haley says, a "hacking" sound? Did he do it again? What was he doing when he made the noise? Did he look like he wanted you to back off or anything?

I recently had myself convinced that my pigs were coughing or sneezing and that they all needed to get to the vet - STAT - until I sat and watched them and learned that the horrible death noise they had been making was actually just the sound of their little paws scraping on the coroplast occasionally.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad y'all mentioned the hacking noise. I've recently heard one of my pigs do this twice while at the water bottle. It was really worrying me that something may be wrong. So, I take it this is somewhat normal?

Jane_G

Cavy Slave
Cookie also does that noise. If she gobbles her veggies too fast, she makes a gacking noise.

They're just being piggies.

clotho

Cavy Slave
That is the same noise my one girl made at another one of the girls before. They are fine in the cage with all the other girls, but if I take these two out together and put them someplace neutral like my bed, they start to fight. The one was sort of spitting/hissing at the other - which I've been told is very aggressive. The next thing that happened was they turned into a rolling ball of fur and started fighting. Interestingly, when I put them back into the cage with all the other girls, they never do this.

GuineaAddict

Cavy Slave
That llama spit sounded like my guinea sneezing. And I know it's sneezing cause she's sneezed on me plenty of times and fluid ends up on my arm. I'll never forget before I treated her URI she sneezed on me once and left a booger on my shirt:eek: ...it was so disgustinglol .

Toadies

Cavy Slave
PrayerWarrior, it seems like it's okay, as long as it is not followed by a large gob of stinky, sticky goop. (I used to work for a camelid vet - ugh!. The babies are precious though.)

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
PrayerWarrior, it seems like it's okay, as long as it is not followed by a large gob of stinky, sticky goop. (I used to work for a camelid vet - ugh!. The babies are precious though.)

Nope, none of that.

I heard the same pig do it again yesterday, and the situation he was in made it seem as if it was a sign of aggression. Like I said previously, not a sneeze because I've heard him do that, and his sneeze is much softer and quieter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.