Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Speedy and Spot

lukeeluciano

Cavy Slave
New to Piggys and bought a store cage that was very small but expensive! Came on this site and read about C & C cages, so I went to Bath And Beyond and bought a pack of Wire Cubes for $15. Next I went to Home Depot and found some Coroplast sheet $10 for a 72"by 36" sheet.
So Now I have a 2x4 C&C cage that just cost about $30, not bad considering the small cage was like $50; which I returned back to the store. Now our female pigs Spot(because she is white and her eye has a brown patch) and Speedy(because when we brought her home she escaped in the room and was very hard to catch), are currently living in there new home.
When I wake up in the morning I see the hay and pellets all over the cage which I know they are eating. However, all they do is hide and run when they see us. Only had them for about 3 days. I left up the igloo and start to pet them but they are very scared so I just leave them alone. What should I do?

kp53179

Cavy Slave
Just give it time! I have had mine two boars since January and they still run and hide from me 80% of the time. It is in their nature to run and hide! You aren't doing anything wrong. The best thing to do is to just give them lap time and get them used to you and your hand. Feed them treats so they know that your hand equals something good! Before long they will be more comfortable. My one pig will come to me and sniff my hand and stuff but my other one is still shy! Good luck!

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Aren't C&C cages great? I really love how much fun they are for the pigs (and for me to design/decorate)

Don't worry that your piggies are being shy. It took mine a full week before they were brave enough to venture out of their hidies. Please understand, guinea pigs are prey animals so their first instinct will always be to run and hide. Make sure you have lots of patience, because chances are you won't bond immediately.

Kudos for getting 2 piggies, as they will enjoy each others company a lot. Just don't get discouraged if they decided they like each other better than they like you.

joyfulnoise

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. I'm so pleased to hear that you were able to 2 piggies(so they will have each other for company) and that you were able to build a c&c cage as well. I had so much fun building mine. I only had Reggie at the time and after a couple weeks we had a pretty great routine. He enjoyed all the attention and didn't run away too often. After 2 months, I finally found somebody who needed to rehome her pig. yeah me! She said he was 8 wks. but he looked younger. Anyway, the introduction went better than I could have ever hoped. They are best buddies! Of course llittle Roscoe runs and hides. So guess who hides again too. Don't know why Reggie is hiding again. Maybe because he has a partner in crime and he is just having fun. They certainly are not afraid when i vacuum their cage. They follow my hand around and popcorn the whole time and they sit patiently by their food bowl when it time to eat. They know when and what to expect.
I think every pig's personality is different and it takes time to build up trust & security. Be patient, calm, slow & keepa routine. hand feed some veggies too. They will learn you are the one who gives them all the great, yummy food. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.