Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Spaying precautions/proceedures?

aNiMaLsAmArItAn

Cavy Slave
My wittle baby bunny, Midnight, is getting spayed in two weeks. I want to try to find out what I should do before the surgury and after she comes home. I already talked to the adoption agency that she came from that will do it, and they said to continue everything as normal before she comes in, but they said nothing about after. HELP PLEASE!!! I am really nervous and I want my precious princess to be happy, healthy, and comfortable. Thanks!

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
Your vet should give you a sheet of care instructions after the spay. If they don't make sure to ask them for one and/or to write up some instructions for you (sometimes they can forget on something routine like a spay).

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
When we got Fidget spayed we were told a few things (mainly common sense really). To keep her in a quiet place, around 65 degrees. If possible have something warm for her to lie next to but that she can also move away from if she gets to hot, i.e. heat pad in one corner of her cage. If she lives with another rabbit they normally advise keeping them apart but in cages next to each other. It really depends on the personality of the other rabbit, if they are docile and 'polite' then it would probably be ok. I would advise though that when you come back from the vets you use a damp flannel or paper towel and rub it over the other rabbit and then rub the same flannel on the spayed rabbit so she smells like her friend so they don't get confused over the vet smell. Offer her everything she normally eats, if she hasn't eaten anything within 24 hours call your vet. Fidget needed water taken to her for her to drink as I don't think she could face sitting up properly to drink. I would leave her favourite veg next to her and maybe a small pile of hay and pellets. So long as she nibbles something it will keep her stomach moving. I will say this, the day after her spay she looked awful, so be prepared, everytime I looked at her I cried but just know you are doing the right thing to benefit her in the long run.

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
I forgot to add ask your vet for extra pain meds for the days following her spay. Some don't automatically give it out. It makes a big difference!

aNiMaLsAmArItAn

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for your advice, both of you! I feel a little better now that I know there is something more I can do to help my baby.

aNiMaLsAmArItAn

Cavy Slave
NEW ISSUE!!!!!!

My parents said no free time out of the cage (which is SIX SQUARE FEET - stupid pet store) for Midnight because she escaped her cruel prison while I was at school and it took a half hour to round her up. But that's just half of it: my mom keeps trying to take the cage to her car so she can surrender my precious sweetheart!! What can I do to help her to stay family??? *weeps*

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
If your parents are against you having the bun then there's really nothing you can do about it. Call the rescue to have them take her back- you don't want your parents to surrender her to the pound and have her end up euthanized. At the very least make you parents promise not to take her anywhere, that you will take her back if you can't come to an agreement. Talk with you parents about realistic goals and rules about the bun- don't be selfish and try to keep her until your parents are pushed into a corner. She's the one that will suffer if they decide to take her to a kill shelter, or worse let her "escape" outside.

aNiMaLsAmArItAn

Cavy Slave
Great news!

The shelter spayed Midnight yesterday, as planned, and when I picked her up this afternoon, they said she was one of the most well-behaved and gentle bunnies they have ever seen. The incision area does not have much swelling, and it is very clean and dry. I am so proud!

Also, my parents finally approved my "palace" idea (though I had to pay). I ordered the grids two days ago, and they should arrive in a week or so, so I will finish Midnight's new THREE LEVEL cage just in time for her to be able to move out of her rehabilitation cage. Now that's what I call a get well gift!

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions and comments! They helped a lot!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.