Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fidget getting Spayed Today

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
I guess I just need some support today :guilty:. I know its for the best because of cancer and her behaviour but I feel so guilty. I have read up on everything but I still want to know what things you did to help them when they came home. Obviously it is a major op but I don't know what to expect when she comes home, will she be able to get to her water bottle/ food/ veg? I don't mind sitting all night with her if thats what it takes. She also doesn't have a bed or hidey as such since she never liked them, would she appreciate a bit of shelter away from me and everything else? Maybe a big cardboard box? Anyway all think good thoughts for her.

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
I guess I just need some support today :guilty:. I know its for the best because of cancer and her behaviour but I feel so guilty. I have read up on everything but I still want to know what things you did to help them when they came home. Obviously it is a major op but I don't know what to expect when she comes home, will she be able to get to her water bottle/ food/ veg? I don't mind sitting all night with her if thats what it takes. She also doesn't have a bed or hidey as such since she never liked them, would she appreciate a bit of shelter away from me and everything else? Maybe a big cardboard box? Anyway all think good thoughts for her.

If you have a dog crate (dosent have to be a big 42" but just so she can turn around and take a few hops back and forth) put her in that for a few days, restrict her excercise but, she will need a bit of excercise, If you havnt got a dog crate, then a simple play pen or an old petstore cage will be fine as a temporary, recovery cage. When Princes Jessica (My female rabbit) went in for her op she came out FINE, she got to her bottle, pellets and veggies, I think she was so dosed up on pain killers she didnt mind really. If you can make her bed as padded as possible and really comfortable, and keep the room warm, she should be OK. When I bought Jessica home I got some purple antiseptic spray from the vets just to be safe the wounds didnt get infected ;). You could ask your vet for some, I am sure he/she would give you a can, its a very useful thing to keep on hand, just for safe keeping incase anything should happen and a pet get a wound aswell! :)

Hope everything turns out A-OK for you and the rabbit!

PS. Don't feel guilty, its for the best, when Jessie came out from the op and when the wounds were healed and the stiches out she totally changed for the best! and I know many other sucess storys with rabbits getting neutered!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I don't have any answers for you because I have not been through this before, but I wanted to write and say you and Fidget will be in my thoughts and prayers today.

It is always harder on us than it is on them. Soon she will be recovering and you will still be beating yourself up. At least that is how it was when I had my dogs spayed.

As for the hidey house, I would provide one. She doesn't have to use it, but if she wants to it will be there for her!

Good Luck!

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys. The vet called a little while ago and said that she is ok and just coming around, they didn't get to do it as early as planned because of an emergency so will be more groggy than she would have been but its such a relief she did ok during surgery. I know this is the beginning but one hurdle over, now to keep her comfy and then to keep her contained, she won't be happylol

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
My two bunnies were already spayed/neutered when I got them. So unfortunately I have no advice post surgery for you. But I did want to say I hope she'll recover quickly and be happy and hopping around soon.

I believe it's very important to spay bunnies...you did the right thing, for her health. Please let us know how she's doing.

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
Well its been like a roller coaster ride here the past 36 hours. Yesterday morning we had to give Fidget her 0.45ml of metacam, we decided the safest way would be on the floor rather than the sofa like we usually try (incase she tried to jump off) well we did that successfully but then she got away from my husbands grasp and started hopping all over, we tried without stressing her too much to guide her to her cage which was unsuccessful, she eventually found a quiet corner under a table and next to the heat vent. I decided to leave her there and she went to and from the vent when she got hot/ cold. I gave her water atleast once an hour, left hay next to her and some frsh veg, which thankfully she nibbled at. Well we managed to get her back in her cage and all yesterday she was grinding her teeth and sitting all hunched up. First it was about every hour which then went to every 10 mins. Frantic calls to the vet, they wanted to see her but I can't drive and if my husband had come home picked her up and took her to the vet it would have been closed (vet is about an hour on a great day, normally close to 2 week days). So the vet tech (I think vet tech) was really great saying she knew someone who lived where we do who will probably have extra pain killers but we would have to wait a while to find out. So we waited and sure enough the lady would have some but after 5. So at 5 we went to the address given and a lovely lady who is a fosterer for the rabbit society had a syringe of metacam, we talked a little while and turns out she has 24 rabbits:eek:hmy: and some she is looking to adopt out (my husband tried to cover my ears and then said no lol) Anyway she offered for me to go and see them whenever I wanted. We had to rush obviously to check on Fidget and she needed to travel to the same place our vet is to help the vet tech clean rabbits cages for the House Rabbit Society because they are so understaffed and can't find volunteers in the area, so when everything gets back to normal I think I am going to ring her and offer to go with her to help.
Sorry back to topic, we get home and well Fidget has perked up, I guess typical, me and my husband decide to wait and see if she starts grinding her teeth again or looking in pain. I guess she was just having a bad day because today she is doing anything she can to try and escape her cage, hopping back and forth, upturning dishes like nothing has happened. I guess at times we just worry when we shouldn't. So all in all I think she is going to be fine!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.