Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Some questions about pups' eating habits/needs

danav

Cavy Slave
Our three pups are 8 days old today. They are nursing, drinking from the water bottles, eating pellets (Kleenmama's alfalfa pellets), and eating hay (bluegrass). None of them is interested in veggies yet, though. They don't even try to nibble lettuce when I put it right in front of them and completely ignore veggies in the cage. They are all gaining (I'm weighing them daily and they've all gained more than 2 ounces since birth). I keep reading that pups will start eating veggies within a couple of days...is it a problem that mine are over a week old and not interested yet?

Secondly, we will be separating the two boys at the 3 week mark, but the third baby is a girl and will be staying in the cage with the two mamas. I was just curious how long pups will continue to nurse when not separated from the mama?

Thirdly, about pellets... right now the newborns and nursing mamas need as much alfalfa pellets as they want, right? I've just been putting a handful more in every time the bowl is nearly empty. At what point should I begin to limit the pellets? I've just read on another thread that when the baby is a little bigger and weaned I can start mixing the alfalfa pellets with the Oxbow Cavy Cuisine I was using before and feed the baby parsely/kale for extra calcium. Should I start doing this, and limiting the pellets to 3/4 cup per day (for all three pigs together), as soon as the baby is no longer nursing and is eating veggies readily?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
The mother can have alfalfa pellets until she is done nursing.

The babies can continue to get the alfalfa pellets (unlimited) until they are 6 months. After that they can have 1/4-1/2 cup timothy pellets per day per pig. The extra calcium will be beneficial while they are still growing, not just until they are weaned.

piggiewiggies

Cavy Slave
The pups should stop nursing around 3-4 weeks. when you first seperare the boys, the will make alot of noise until they get used to not being with their mom anymore! When my girl pig had pups,they were eating veggies the 3rd day. Have you tried grass or clover? my piggies love that. you might want to do some research too.

danav

Cavy Slave
Ok, but they're going to remain in the same cage, so I can't give the baby unlimited alfalfa pellets without the mamas eating them at will, too...that's why I was asking about what I read on another thread about using some alfalfa pellets, and giving just the baby parsley and kale when she's alone (lap time) to make up the calcium. I just wasn't sure on the timing - as soon as she is weaned and eating veggies, correct? Because once the mamas are done nursing, they should go back on a limited amount of pellets, right?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
once the mamas are done nursing, they should go back on a limited amount of pellets, right?

Yes, and giving the babies extra veggies high in calcium, such as kale and parsley is just fine. Make sure to separate the males at 21 days.

danav

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Does anyone have answers to my first two questions?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
They'll be fine on timothy pellets and veggies with extra calcium during lap time.

They will stop nursing when the mom is done with it. This might be longer than 21 days for females.

As for veggies, just keep offering them, and the pups will try them eventually. Does the mom eat them?

danav

Cavy Slave
The pups should stop nursing around 3-4 weeks. when you first seperare the boys, the will make alot of noise until they get used to not being with their mom anymore! When my girl pig had pups,they were eating veggies the 3rd day. Have you tried grass or clover? my piggies love that. you might want to do some research too.
I somehow missed this post earlier... I haven't tried grass or clover. I'll try that tomorrow, thanks! I was wondering if they will fuss when we separate them...my friend is taking one of the boys so I'll be sure to let her know he might be upset at first.

They'll be fine on timothy pellets and veggies with extra calcium during lap time.

They will stop nursing when the mom is done with it. This might be longer than 21 days for females.

As for veggies, just keep offering them, and the pups will try them eventually. Does the mom eat them?

Yep, both mamas LOVE their veggies. The babies sniff at them, but turn away totally disinterested, silly things! :cheerful:

Thanks for the help, everyone!

danav

Cavy Slave
Good news - two of the babies ate lettuce a few minutes ago (two small leaves of baby lettuce each). :cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.