Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth So many things... HELP!

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
I was looking at Cinnamon today, clipping his nails. When he started sneezing. A lot. And then his eyes got all watery, there was a little crust around them. I looked at his teeth, and low and behold, they were TERRIBLE. His two top teeth are perfect, right next to each other, nice and aligned. His bottom teeth are one in front of the other. I noticed before that there was some plastic around them, and it is still there. I think that it was trying to hold the teeth in place, and it did for a little while.

Can a tooth problem cause eye problems? I know that eye problems can cause nose problems... I hope he is not sick, because then all of the other piggies have been exposed to him.

He is not eating well, and I have to give him thin slivers of veggies. For example, if I wanted to give him a carrot, I would have to peel it, and feed it to him like he was a ticket-eating machine at the arcade.

I almost don't know if it is worth it to bring him to the vet. He is almost 8 now, and I have already spent thousands on vet bills, for him alone.

What could be wrong with him? How much would the vet bills be? What would they have to do to him? What can I do right now to make him as comfortable as possible?

(I think that it is important to note that the symptoms didn't come all at once. I just started to notice them gradually.)

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I was looking at Cinnamon today, clipping his nails. When he started sneezing. A lot. And then his eyes got all watery, there was a little crust around them. I looked at his teeth, and low and behold, they were TERRIBLE. His two top teeth are perfect, right next to each other, nice and aligned. His bottom teeth are one in front of the other. I noticed before that there was some plastic around them, and it is still there. I think that it was trying to hold the teeth in place, and it did for a little while.
How did the plastic get in there? Did you put it in there or was it just there one day? If it's the latter, it's possible he could have eaten something that might be causing him problems. If you put it in there ... why?

The watery/crusty eyes and the sneezing are indicative of a URI, not a tooth problem, so the two issues are probably independent of one another.

Can a tooth problem cause eye problems? I know that eye problems can cause nose problems... I hope he is not sick, because then all of the other piggies have been exposed to him.
Sometimes, if there's an abscess or possibly another issue. Whether it's a tooth problem or a URI or both, or something altogether different, you need to get him to the vet.

He is not eating well, and I have to give him thin slivers of veggies. For example, if I wanted to give him a carrot, I would have to peel it, and feed it to him like he was a ticket-eating machine at the arcade.
How's his weight? He absolutely needs to get to the vet, one way or another.

I almost don't know if it is worth it to bring him to the vet. He is almost 8 now, and I have already spent thousands on vet bills, for him alone.
Are you serious? Animals are for life, not until you've decided you've spent enough on this particular one. It's absurd that you'd decide you've spent enough on him already and deny him vet care at a point when it's very clear he needs it. No matter his age. No matter how much you've already spent on him. You are all he's got - how could you even consider refusing him medical treatment at this point in his life?

What could be wrong with him? How much would the vet bills be? What would they have to do to him? What can I do right now to make him as comfortable as possible?
You need to go to a qualified veterinarian to get the answers to these questions. Make sure he's eating, and that might mean syringing him critical care or continuing to cut up his food into tiny pieces so that he can get enough nutrition. This is no substitute for veterinary care - please get him in straight away. If you don't want to treat whatever his issues are, you at least owe it to him to euthanize him and end his suffering.

(I think that it is important to note that the symptoms didn't come all at once. I just started to notice them gradually.)
I think it's important to note that the best thing you can do is seek the treatment and counsel of a veterinarian. This animal is depending on you to get him the care he needs.

Last edited:

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Paula.

The part about the vet came out wrong. I am bringing him no matter what, I was just wondering whether or not it would be worth it to do something that could conceivably cost thousands. I'm really not sure how to word it, except that Cinnamon is so old.

I am bringing him to the vet, and have separated him from Trump and Kokabo. No signs of sickness with them, Trump is the same weight (Not exactly a good thing for him, as I have been trying to give him extra floor-time to lose weight...) And Kokabo is slowly gaining weight, he is about 2 months old.

Cinnamon has had a pretty constant weight though, no huge drops or gains. Just the little normal fluctuations.

The plastic has been on his teeth since I got him, the vet said that it was probably a sad attempt from the first owner to straighten the teeth, as it was holding them in place at the time. He also said that it was doing no harm to him at that point, but if something happened to bring him in.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I am bringing him no matter what, I was just wondering whether or not it would be worth it to do something that could conceivably cost thousands. I'm really not sure how to word it, except that Cinnamon is so old.
If he's not able to eat, he needs to go in either way, and without knowing what's wrong with him, you can't know how much treatment might cost. If you decide it isn't worth it, you still need to do what's most humane so that he's not suffering. And no matter how old he is, if he's got a URI or something else, he still deserves treatment for it.

If you're planning to take him to the vet that advised you to leave plastic in his mouth, I suggest finding a different vet.

Aquena

Cavy Slave
Good Luck, I hope things turn out well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.