Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables So many conflicting opinions- what vegetables are okay for piggies to have every day?

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
With all of the research I've done, it seems like every post I read says something different than the next. What veggies are safe for guinea pigs to have every day, and which ones should only be feed every few days?

So far I know my piggies love green leaf & romaine lettuce, green pepper, and carrots. They really don't like cucumber or yellow pepper.

Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for a reference of what can be fed and how often.

Some pigs excrete excess urinary calcium when being fed romaine. This can contribute to bladder stones. Not all pigs are affected this way, but red or green leaf lettuce is a better choice.

This may be helpful: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/105287-How-to-teach-a-guinea-pig-to-eat-vegetables

If you look through the Diet and Nutrition forum on this site, you'll find a lot of information and sample diets.

MyLittlePigs

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs love red pepper it is high in vitamin C. As guinea pigs don’t not produce this it’s good to feed them. You can also feed kale/curly kale. My guinea pigs really enjoy this but can’t be fed much as they have a lot of calcium. My piggies enjoy this a lot as a treat:)

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
With all of the research I've done, it seems like every post I read says something different than the next. What veggies are safe for guinea pigs to have every day, and which ones should only be feed every few days?

So far I know my piggies love green leaf & romaine lettuce, green pepper, and carrots. They really don't like cucumber or yellow pepper.

Thank you!

My Bella-Rose just turned 2 mo today. Until 6 mo I need to give her a decent amount of calcium daily. I'm home all day so I'm able to give veggies in a few portions vs when I worked it was am and then pm.

Am- She gets diced green pepper (her mouth is really small) and a leaf of lettuce.

Noon- we both nap 2-3 hours. I put a sprig of parsley in her hidey for her to snack on while we (I) nap.

Appetizer when I get up: 1 dandelion leave

Around 5:00- Dinner: Diced zucchini, diced tomato and diced persian cucumber. I chop up cilantro and put it on top the tomato and a sprig on the side.

In the eve- another leaf of lettuce at some point and either a piece of italian endive (I get a Trader Joes) or a small amount of radicchio.

Close to bedtime- dessert = 1 raspberry that I break apart into pieces.

Everything is organic except the endive and radicchio which I wash well. I wash the organic veggies as well.

I used the nutrition chart pinned on this forum to figure out what to give. Everything is ok to give daily. I used to give Mooshy a baby carrot a day but quit that with Bella-Rose. After talking to my exotic vet, carrots are very high in sugar. GPs don't process sugar very well. It gets stores in the liver. Mooshy had fatty liver and I didn't even give her much fruit. I read somewhere Aby's are more prone to diabetes, so no carrots for her- and no fruits for her except raspberry which thankfully she likes. That's her nightly dessert.

At 6 mo I'll completely switch her to timothy hay based pellets, she eats some now mixed with alfalfa. I'll remove dandelion leaves and parsley which are both very high in calcium.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.