Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Smelling a little bit quick?

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
So the last couple of times I've changed the pig's cage, it's ended up smelling a bit quickly. I can't remember when I changed it last (normally write it down but I forgot this time), I think it was 3 or 4 days ago but it smells already. I'm leaning towards 3 days. I'm gonna change it tomorrow cos it's making my room smell bad but I don't know why it's suddenly started smelling so quick :/ The pigs have normal urine/poo right now, although the other day I spot cleaned once during the day and I normally do it twice. Would that be it? Any washing tips to make it last longer, too? I used washing powder (bold, to be specific), but not softener cos I know that makes the fleece worse. Just a little worried about my folks shouting at me for using the washing machine too much...they already had a go for Noah's hair getting over everyone's clothes when they used to washer after me -_-

mikey1990

Cavy Slave
So the last couple of times I've changed the pig's cage, it's ended up smelling a bit quickly. I can't remember when I changed it last (normally write it down but I forgot this time), I think it was 3 or 4 days ago but it smells already. I'm leaning towards 3 days. I'm gonna change it tomorrow cos it's making my room smell bad but I don't know why it's suddenly started smelling so quick :/ The pigs have normal urine/poo right now, although the other day I spot cleaned once during the day and I normally do it twice. Would that be it? Any washing tips to make it last longer, too? I used washing powder (bold, to be specific), but not softener cos I know that makes the fleece worse. Just a little worried about my folks shouting at me for using the washing machine too much...they already had a go for Noah's hair getting over everyone's clothes when they used to washer after me -_-

if you are using fleece, i tried to use fleece in my c&c but after a full day it smelt like mad. i dont know whether it was because i did it wrong or because my piggies just like to urinate but what ever it was i could not cope with and had to change back to shavings!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have four cages that house a total of 7 guinea pigs. All four cages need to be cleaned at different times and some get an odor sooner than others. Even the size of poop is different for each guinea. The most important thing is to have a large enough cage for the number of guinea pigs you have. I sweep the fleece at least three times a day. My single pig's cage lasts long without changing the fleece but one of my female pairs gets smelly the fastest. On average, I change the fleece every three days.

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
It might be worth trying a different washing powder as Bold has fabric softener in it and so that could be preventing your fleece from wicking properly and therefore making you notice the smell more.

Tribble79

Cavy Slave
I change my three pigs cage approximately every three days. I use whatever material I have lying around. Right now they have reusable chucks (these are what nursing homes use to put under their incontinent patients, they were throwing a bunch away so my mother brought them home for the pigs), and on top I have a rug I bought at a yardsale that is for in front of a toilet.... Seems to work fine!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've never had a problem with my fleece bedding.
I use uhual pads as my absorbent layer. Some users report less urine smell when using uhual pads.https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/58123-review-uhaul-blanket.html
I do recommend getting atleast 1 pack and giving it a try. I also sweep poos every morning. Are you doing that? Poo/hay is all I smell. But once I sweep I don't smell anymore poo, just hay.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
It might be worth trying a different washing powder as Bold has fabric softener in it and so that could be preventing your fleece from wicking properly and therefore making you notice the smell more.

Ah okay I didn't know that! I'm actually going to tesco this morning so I'll just buy some of their own brand stuff as it's cheap and give that a try. Thank-you!!

I've never had a problem with my fleece bedding.
I use uhual pads as my absorbent layer. Some users report less urine smell when using uhual pads.https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/58123-review-uhaul-blanket.html
I do recommend getting atleast 1 pack and giving it a try. I also sweep poos every morning. Are you doing that? Poo/hay is all I smell. But once I sweep I don't smell anymore poo, just hay.

I don't think Uhaul pads are available in the UK :/ At the minute I'm using towels and newspaper (news paper on the bottom, 2 layers of towels, then fleece). Which normally works out fine, it's just this time round they've gotten smelly really quick! I actually changed my spot cleaning routine...I normally do it 3 or 4 times a day which somebody told me was excessive, so I've cut it down. That makes sense now. -_- stupid me. But I'm going to changed them today after I've been shopping + got some different washing powder and see how it goes!

HarleypigsMummy

Cavy Slave
I'm in the UK too and finding it difficult to get Uhaul pads, can someone take a look at these and tell me if they look/are the same? Would be great if they were cause they're cheap!
(broken link removed)
Thanks! xx

mimi1967

Cavy Slave
Are you cleaning the bottom of the cage when you change the bedding? I spray it all down with 50/50 white vinegar & water and wipe it with paper towels.

galya137

Cavy Slave
I am having a similar issue. I switched to Uhaul and Fleece blankets in the hopes that it would help with the odor, and be eaier to clean. I did two layers of uhaul and 1 layer of fleece. But their cage still smells after a short perior of time, that I hvae to change out the blanket fairly quickly. And the blanket doesn't absorb well, because I see the urine stains on the coroplast. Am I doing somehting wrong? Please help! I don't want my piggies to be stinky. =/

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm in the UK too and finding it difficult to get Uhaul pads, can someone take a look at these and tell me if they look/are the same? Would be great if they were cause they're cheap!
(broken link removed)
Thanks! xx
Contact the company and ask what the fiber content is. If it's 100% cotton; good. If it's wool; don't buy it.

HarleypigsMummy

Cavy Slave
Great! Thanks pinky! Will do that! x

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Are you cleaning the bottom of the cage when you change the bedding? I spray it all down with 50/50 white vinegar & water and wipe it with paper towels.

Yep, first I use cage disinfectant, then I go over it again with a vinegar and water mixture.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
I am having a similar issue. I switched to Uhaul and Fleece blankets in the hopes that it would help with the odor, and be eaier to clean. I did two layers of uhaul and 1 layer of fleece. But their cage still smells after a short perior of time, that I hvae to change out the blanket fairly quickly. And the blanket doesn't absorb well, because I see the urine stains on the coroplast. Am I doing somehting wrong? Please help! I don't want my piggies to be stinky. =/

If you're getting urine stains on your coroplast, maybe add another layer of absorbment material. Perhaps try a layer of towels? As they're really absorbant :)

lissie

Cavy Slave

How big is your cage? Do you have a litter box for the feeding area?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ditto Lissie!
A litter box or kitchen area can help. I think my girls don't like sleeping in a whole lot of their poo. They often poo in the fleece forest corner and a corner by the hay rack xD
@iamsnape, how big is your cage? I have a 2x5 C&C and I don't have an issue with smells. I HAVE noticed that some users with 2 pigs in a 2x4(without loft), a 2x3 or a pet store cage will have fleece smelling quickly. There is less space to poo/pee in a smaller cage thus you get smells faster.
In my 2X5 the girls pee in mainly 4 areas: the kitchen(which is a 2x1), the pigloo, under their cabana and the fleece forest.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Ditto Lissie!
A litter box or kitchen area can help. I think my girls don't like sleeping in a whole lot of their poo. They often poo in the fleece forest corner and a corner by the hay rack xD
@iamsnape , how big is your cage? I have a 2x5 C&C and I don't have an issue with smells. I HAVE noticed that some users with 2 pigs in a 2x4(without loft), a 2x3 or a pet store cage will have fleece smelling quickly. There is less space to poo/pee in a smaller cage thus you get smells faster.
In my 2X5 the girls pee in mainly 4 areas: the kitchen(which is a 2x1), the pigloo, under their cabana and the fleece forest.

My cage is 2x4. I've switched washing powder brands and I've noticed some improvement :)

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
Use disposable puppy pads where they urinate most and change them daily.

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.