Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Slow Labored Breathing? Or am I paranoid?

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I'm trying to figure out if there is actually something wrong with my pig, Monkey, or not. I figure it could be one of three things:

1) Monkey is stressed out
2) I'm being paranoid
3) There is actually something wrong with her and I need to take her in to the vet

Her symptoms would be losing 1.5 ounces, and possibly slower, more exaggerated breathing.

Here are my reasons for the the first scenario: as some of you know, my pig Root Beer died of cancer less than 2 weeks ago. What you guys didn't know is that Root Beer was Monkey's best friend. Now that Root Beer is gone (who was essentially the peace keeper in the cage) the pigs have been picking on Monkey more often (who has the lowest rank in the hierarchy).

My reasons for the second scenario: as I stated earlier, I just lost Root Beer to cancer, I really don't want to loss another one so soon. I have been keeping a closer eye on them, and for that reason may be paranoid.

My reasons for the third scenario: I noticed her breathing when I was holding her while trimming her nails. Once you trim any of my pigs nails, they think you are the enemy and constantly try to get away while trying to bite you. I noticed that her breathing was a little strange, but could still fit into the realm of "normal" because of all the stress she's been under with the other pigs, losing her best friend, and myself trimming her nails.

I placed her back in the cage with the others, and sat down on a stool in the middle of the cage with them. She walked around, ate pellets, drank water, and acted completely normal. I compared her breathing to the other pigs, and it still seemed a bit exaggerated (however, the 2 other females are best friends and the male just wants to romance everyone). So I don't know if she is stressed out or what.

When I first thought that something may be wrong, I called up my vet, however they had closed only 30 minutes earlier, and I was given the information for the emergency vet in Chicago. The place is about an hour away and twice as expensive. After Root Beer's diagnosis, medication, and euthanasia, I am lower on funds. I also do not have a job (although I have been looking for one for about a year now, THANK YOU ECONOMY!)

I just don't know what to do. If Root Beer hadn't just passed, and the hierarchy of pigs was not being re-established now that she is gone, I would be more prone to believe that something may be wrong. But with everything going on, and my personal financial status, I could use a little advice.

All things considered, am I being paranoid, is this something I can chalk up to stress, or does she really need to go in and can't wait until first thing Monday when I can see a vet that I could actually afford should her situation remain the same?

I'm not a vet, but I'd think that if she's acting normal, it could wait until Monday. I'd watch her very carefully, though, and if she gets worse, I'd take her in. When you do take her, ask to have her evaluated for heart problems.

When you do take her, ask to have her evaluated for heart problems.

When I was researching, I came across that it may be heart problems. I plan on doing if/when she is taken in to the vet.

Thank you for your input.

Do you think it would be a good idea to separate her from the others? Perhaps in a hospital cage that is connected to the main one or a hospital cage that is in my room (the guinea pigs have their own bedroom)?

I wouldn't separate them unless they're bothering her. Usually, removing a guinea pig from the others in its herd just stresses them out more. Since she's likely not contagious with anything, nor are they, I'd let her be.

I decided that it was time to update this thread. Here is what happened:

On Monday morning I got her into the vet first thing. The vet (the same one that diagnosed Root Beer) did a very thorough examination on her. She decided that an x-ray needed to be done, and took her in the backroom. When she came back, at first I thought they had drugged her to take the x-ray, she was "floppy" and could barely move. When I saw the vet tech I asked her whether or not they drugged her and she said they didn't. Just then the vet came in saying that they needed to take another since the first wasn't clear enough.

They took her back and I waited nearly 10 minutes without any sign from anyone. Finally the vet came back without Monkey. She informed me that she put Monkey on oxygen to help her breathe. She showed me the x-ray and gave me the bad news...

Her heart's enlarged to over twice the normal size and there's fluid around and in her lungs. She also was in the beginning of gut stasis. She informed me that it was at the very least heart disease, if not congestive heart failure.

I was very confused, she had been to the vet before and thoroughly examed, wouldn't they have noticed something wrong with her heart then? She said that nothing negative had been noted in her files about her heart. I asked if the stress of her best friend, Root Beer, passing could have brought this on. She said it was a possibility. That if she had been managing and fine on her own lately, that the stress of losing her best friend could have sent her into a tailspin.

The vet then said she wanted to check on Monkey, and grabbed the lettuce I brought with me to give to Monkey. When she left the room, I cried. I just lost Root Beer, now I may be losing Monkey... my only abby. The one who licks my cheeks like a dog, the one that chuts whenever walking. The one who became my first chirper.

When the vet came back she told me that she had pepped up a lot and acting normal again. That she quickly ate all the lettuce I brought with me and gave her timothy hay as well. She also gave her some greens from her own salad which she started to eat. She said that if we can get her past her current critical condition, she could have a good prognosis. That with medication she could live a normal somewhat lazier life. That she has another guinea pig who was diagnosised 3 years ago, and with medication is still with them. She looked at me and said that Monkey is not giving up, that she's eating, and would like to treat her.

I agreed with the vet immediately. I would give Monkey a fighting chance, she deserves that. So that's what I did. She gave her a shot of emergency lasix to dry up her lungs and the fluid surrounding the lungs. She kept her there for 2 hours on emergency oxygen to help her breathe. We set up a medication and feeding schedule.

Baytril (.10cc) twice a day to prevent any infection that may take place in the lungs due to them being wet, and to help dry them up.
Metacam (.10 to .05cc) once a day for 1-2 days to help with pain, or as necessary.
Lasix (.50cc) twice a day, orally
Simethicone (.05cc) four times a day to help the gas in her abdomen.
Critical Care force feedings (10 to 15cc) four times a day keep her gut moving.

I had leftover metacam from Root Beer, and she gave me free Critical Care to give her along with a syringe. I went out and bought the Simethicone, and got Baytril from the vet. I had to get the lasix from local compounding experts.

I went home and sent up the hospital cage again, connected to the main cage, and then picked up Monkey from the vet. As soon as I got her home, I started her on all her medication and feeding schedule (she got something every 6 hours).

I tried my hardest to encourage her, and keep her going... in the end she didn't make it...

Only 42 hours after her diagnosis I walked into her room with the Critical care and proper medication to find her underneath her blanket, warm and no longer breathing... I had just held her less than 6 hours ago (around 4am) and fed her. I started to cry uncontrollably. I wasn't with her in the end. I feel like I failed her. I unclipped the blanket from the grids of the cage and picked her up in it. I craddled her to my chest for a while and cried while sitting on the floor next to the other pigs. Once I calmed down, I placed her the main cage so the pigs could see her one last time. Skunk was the only one who came up... but she nuzzled her face for a while. I picked Monkey up, and called the vet to inform them. I brought her in to be cremated.

I still feel awful...I still feel like a failed her since I wasn't there with her in the end. I did everything I could for her, but I guess it just wasn't enough. With this coming on so suddenly, and only 2 and a half weeks after Root Beer's death, I lost another pig. This time, of a broken heart. I guess she just couldn't take not having Root Beer around.

I'm so sorry I wasn't with you in the end Monkey... may you forever run free in the grassy plains of the rainbow bridge with your first piggy husband, Bodie, and your best friend, Root Beer.

Root Beer's medical link: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/medical-veterinary/65314-diagnosed-cancer-morning.html

Last edited:
I am so sorry... so sorry..
My prayers are with you <3

Failed her? You did nothing of the sort! You took every necessary step to help her fight and make her comfortable.

Take this time to grieve for her, not make yourself feel guilty. She is once again with her bossom buddy, Root Beer.

I am SO sorry for both your losses. <3

Wow, that was incredibly sad! I am SO sorry for your loss. :(
You in NO way failed her, you did a wonderful job and tried your darndest to help her, it was just her time to go. She couldnt stand living without Rootbeer, and now they are reunited. ♥

You did not fail her. I've found that most of my guinea pigs that have passed have chosen a secluded and quiet spot to pass quietly. It sounds like she found exactly the kind of comfort she needed to cross over. You did everything right and I'm sure she loved you for it.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone... it's just so hard losing 2 of my pigs in such close succession...

I am so very sorry. Please, know you did everything!! They are now together and happy. They have each other.

Wow. How sad. I'm do sorry for you and your piggies.

I am so sorry for your recent losses.

I am so sorry for you and your piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.