Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Skittish piggie and bad problems with fleece!

kawaii.piggies

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm new to this website.lol I had referred before for many questions but just now decided to create an account so I could ask this question. I have a piggy that I've had for 4 months now and got her at 6 months old, making her 10 months now. When I first got her I used carefresh and I personally didn't have problems with it. I changed to fleece after a month or two because I liked the idea better and many videos I watched referred fleece to be the best bedding. (She had began with fleece while still in a store bought cage and then I switched her to a 2x4 C&C cage). For a long while, the fleece went great and my piggy seemed pretty happy. (This is my first piggie so I could be wrong). But recently she's been scrunching the blankets to make a way to get under it and crawl around under them. Since I have two fleece blankets, one overlaps the other and she gets through that way. She poops under the fleece on the coroplast and it leaves the coroplast stained brown. This has made it much more difficult to clean her cage. Please help! Should I change back to carefresh or is there a solution to the problem? I originally thought it was maybe because I wasn't providing her with enough hide toys but I've been saving money to get her more fleece items such as tunnels and cuddle cups which i'll be getting soon. Sorry for the lengthy question but I hope someone can help, thank you! :love:

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Some pigs just like burrowing. Believe me, my piggies have recently taken up the habit... And it can be difficult to deal with. Try using binder clips to pin the fleece to the coroplast. If she still manages to get underneath, you may need to lay the Coro and fleece in a flat sheet and set the grids on top, making it impossible to burrow.

Your pig may also be getting bored without a friend. They do MUCH better with companions, and no amount of toys or humans can compare to a piggy buddy. Consider adopting another (same gender, of course) guinea pig to keep her company. No extra cage space is needed if you already have a 2x4.

kawaii.piggies

Cavy Slave
Thank you, i'll definitely try to clip the fleece down and see how that works. :) I did consider and hope to get a new piggy by March hopefully since I have to convince my parents. Again, thank you for the help!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Get a couple of cobblestones to lay on top of where one piece of fleece overlaps the other. That's what I did and it worked. You can get cobblestones at any garden center. I found that 5 lb ones worked the best. I bought the flattest ones I could find so they could easily walk over them. One of mine liked to use them as pillows.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.