Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Skin condition

Major

Cavy Slave
Hello everybody,

We are new to guinea pigs and I've just noticed a patch of hair loss on one of them. The patch is circular in shape (not the arrowhead shape that I've read about), about the size of a dime, and is on the top part of Lola's leg. There does not seem to be any irritation or anything except for a bald patch. She is eating and drinking well. I assume this is something that should be looked at by a vet?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Is there a scab? Is your pig scratching at all? Does it hurt her when you touch it? If you've been keeping an eye on it for a few days, has it gotten any better or worse? Have you checked the other pig to see if she has the same thing?

If there's no scratching, it could be a mild skin infection. One of my pigs had this and I got silver sulfadiazene cream (from a vet) for it. If this is the case, it's not an emergency, but I would get it checked out when you can get an appointment.

If there is scratching, it could be mites or another kind of parasite.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Could you post a picture of it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.