Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Simple Question

So you are comparing having an accidental pregnancy to buying from a pet store?

No. Not buying from a pet store. I wouldn't buy an animal from a pet store ever again in my life. But if that were a childs life she saved everyone here would think she were amazing and might even be on the news.

Last edited:
No. Not buying from a pet store. I wouldn't buy an animal from a pet store ever again in my life. But if that were a childs life she saved everyone here would think she were amazing and might even be on the news.

If we could buy children from store for 5 dollars you might have a point, and we'd have bigger problems.

If we could buy children from store for 5 dollars you might have a point, and we'd have bigger problems.

Thats not at all what im trying to say. And yes, we would have much bigger problems. But i DO have a point.. I just don't think some people are trying to see it.

Thats not at all what im trying to say. And yes, we would have much bigger problems.

Then I think the point is missed because the source of the child would be very different. People would not be exploited to have children to be placed in a situation like that.

If she adopted a sick child I would think that it was great.
But if she bought a sick child and in turn suppported more children mills then I would be horrified.

But i DO have a point.. I just don't think some people are trying to see it.
[[Added that]]

The point is that it was a LIFE. Human.. animal.. whatever.. it didn't deserve to die. Would you save a person if you had the chance?? Like i dunno.. maybe someone that had been selling drugs to kids or something. You'd wanna put him in jail but still save his life wouldnt you?? Why not save the guinea pigs life and find other ways to still stop the selling of animals. Bring publicity to see. Or do what was already mentioned and make them pay for vet care to make them see what they were doing.

Last edited:
So I should support the breeding of animals, and after I support it I should try and stop it? It is one thing to buy an animal from a pet store then realize you did something bad, but to already know about the overpopulation and how bad pet stores are but then support it.

I want to save every animal to, I do it by not supporting pet stores that sell animals, if enough people do that then the stores will eventually stop selling animals. So I may not save the animals in the pet store right now but I will save many pigs that might have been sold in the future.

Last edited:
I DON'T support pet stores. plain and simple.. i DON'T. But I am glad that that guinea pig is still alive and not dead somewhere or thrown away like it were trash. How terrible of me.........??

So you don't support petstores but you are glad someone else bought a pig from one?

Did I say I was glad she got it from THERE?? No. I clearly said..
I am glad that that guinea pig is still alive and not dead somewhere or thrown away like it were trash.

But you said you were glad she got him and you know exactly where she got him.

Again.. I don't recall ever saying that. Youre gonna hafta quote me if you think I did. I'm glad that guinea pig basically wasn't murderd. That's all. Do you wish it were or something?? That's what it seems. We can try to change things in this world but none of us can control everything. Or completely stop people from doing things. We can try, but everyones not going to listen to everyone. Not just about guinea pigs but thats about everything in life. Try to see the one and only good thing about her situation that at least that life can live.

I don't wish the guinea pig was dead, I do wish the original poster didn't support the breeding of animals. You said you don't support pet stores do you wish all those pigs were dead?

do you wish all those pigs were dead?

What pigs?? The one's in stores?? umm, hello.. Obviously I dont want ANY animals dead. That'd be pretty heartless to want any kind of animal dead or hurt. do you????? Please don't try to put words in my mouth. It seems like youre only hearing what you want to from me and not what i'm actually saying. I want all animals to live happy and free in great homes, I want all the bad people off the streets, i want the homeless kids to be feed. But life isn't the picture perfect life we all want it to be. All you can do is try and be glad of what you have. Think positively and of the good things. Otherwise you'd have a depressing life and be always down about the bad things in the world. Not a great sounding life to me.

Every time this topic comes up I am so shocked to read the responses of some members. It is a simple concept to understand. If there is a pet store that sells animals of any kind then you should not be making any purchases in that store. No supplies, no animals.

It doesn't matter that they are no longer selling guinea pigs if they are still selling other animals. Even that measley five dollars you spent on that pig is going to go to pet mills for those dogs and reptiles that are still trapped there.

I understand it is sad to know that there will be animals killed in pet stores due to illness or because they are not being sold, but paying for these animals is not helping the cause. You mentioned to "look at the big picture," and that is exactly what I am saying. You saved this one guinea pig because you felt sorry for him/her, but if you look at the big picture it was wrong to do.

I know that it is hard to turn away from the suffering, but you can help without purchasing the animals and go to these local pet shops and make sure that they are doing their job to take care of the animals they have. I go to pet stores all the time to check up on the animals. It makes a difference because they know you are going to be back. Make a big fuss if you have to. I love making scenes there because the guinea pigs get what they need right away and they take me seriously. Heck the local Petco manager asked me to work there because I was more knowledgable then the employees (a scary thought).

Don't feed the breeder's pockets and help those guinea pigs out there sitting in rescues. It may be more expensive to adopt from a rescue then a pet store, but the money you spend goes to a good cause.

She supported the pet store no matter how you look at it. It is a fact that she she supported the store, she gave then money, she was supporting the store.
It was not an adoption they did not give her the pig she paid for him.

I did not put words in your mouth I asked you question.

Youre gonna hafta quote me if you think I did.

O.K.
You made both these statements:

I don't care who says they're against it... SAVE HiM.
I'm glad she doesnt regret her choice cause she shouldn't

To me this sounds like you are glad she got him from the petstore.

To me this sounds like you are glad she got him from the petstore.

I AM NOT glad she got him from a PETSTORE. I am glad that that perticular animal is not dead. That's it. I've said this a million times now. Can you please take the time for that to get in your head.

This is not question, hun... there's no question mark..

But you said you were glad she got him and you know exactly where she got him.

No.. THAT is what you said that I said. I didn't say that.

You are right for what you quoted me on and I never said I didn't say THOSE things. BUT you cannot hold it against me for saying this..

I don't care who says they're against it... SAVE HiM.

because I said that BEFORE SHE EXPLAINED THAT THEY WERE SELLING DOGS AND REPTILES. At first she said they weren't going to sell guinea pigs anymore and ALOT of people thought she ment none at all. SHE DIDN'T SAY THEY SOLD THE OTHER ANIMALS TILL LATER. Miscomunication and I don't need to explain to you anything anymore. Like I said before it seems like youre only hearing what you want to. This he said she said bit is getting pretty annoying. I have better things to do like to make my guinea pigs happy and go play with them right now.

I can't think of a worse philosophy to live by. If you think this way, where do you draw the line? At a sick animal in a pet store? How about a healthy animal that's simply living out its life in a tiny pet store cage? Or how about a pig that's living out its life in a spacious, clean pet store cage but that you just *know* would be happier at your house?

What if she didn't take him home? Then this guinea pig would have to suffer at the pet store and possibly be killed. I would bend my principles because I have a heart to suffering animals.

I actually really don't know what you are talking about with saying pet stores are horrible. Like any regular person they are out there to make money. The pet store I have near by takes very good care of the animals so I am going to continue buying their products. I really don't have the time to ship guinea pig food because to recieve I would have to bus to the north end of the city. Maybe I shouldn't have bought a pig from a pet store or got one at all. But what do you want me to do now? The pig is not quite the right pet for me but I have a heart to feed it and take care of it no matter what.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.