Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Simple Question

I think there comes a time when the health and happiness of the animal has to over-ride our principles.
I can't think of a worse philosophy to live by. If you think this way, where do you draw the line? At a sick animal in a pet store? How about a healthy animal that's simply living out its life in a tiny pet store cage? Or how about a pig that's living out its life in a spacious, clean pet store cage but that you just *know* would be happier at your house?

You can't bend principles when it's convenient for you.

I think this pet store fed you a lot of bull because their story (as you presented it) makes no sense. I think PM is right in that they are getting rid of their guinea pigs to make room for the bigger animals they intend to sell.

You didn't adopt or rescue - you made a purchase. Unfortunately there are now other animals living out their lives in this pet store.

This is why I don't go in pet stores anymore. I can't stand to see the sick animals.

Me too. I think going to browsing through cages at the animal shelters is a better way to spend my time.

I can't think of a worse philosophy to live by. If you think this way, where do you draw the line? At a sick animal in a pet store? How about a healthy animal that's simply living out its life in a tiny pet store cage? Or how about a pig that's living out its life in a spacious, clean pet store cage but that you just *know* would be happier at your house?

You can't bend principles when it's convenient for you.

I respect what you are saying, and in theory it sounds great. There are times, however, in life when you have to put your principles aside and take a look at the big picture. If I have to do this in order to save a family member's life, or the life of one of my pets (my furry family), then I will do it.

Emotions take over in situations like this, and I think of the animal suffering. By saving the animal and then taking them (the petstore) through whatever means possible (Courts, Humane Society etc...) to stop them doing this again, is a better option for me, personally.

I thought is was all about the animal and their safety and rescuing them? Should it matter where they are rescued from?

I think the OP did the right thing, but that is just my opinion.

Looking at the big picture would be to not support the breeding of animals. The animal wasn't rescued he was bought.

Well he's home now and I'm not going to take him back. My parents aren't going to let me tell them to pay the vet bills, my folks told me that I was consiously taking in an ill animal and that in doing so it was unreasonable to ask them to pay the vet bill. And I'm a teenager, I have school and more important things to do than battle a pet store for money over a sick pig I chose to adopt/buy, whatever you want to call it. He's here and working toward recovery and that's all that's important to me.

Looking at the big picture would be to not support the breeding of animals. The animal wasn't rescued he was bought.

But didn't she say only for the same amount it is for the "adoption fee"?? I dunno.. all of this is kinda crazy. Like people never think about babies. People have kids all the time when there's starving children or homeless babies that need to be rescued and helped but i know some of you people have their own babies instead... Is that somewhat contributing to an "overpopulation" problem with actual people?? are pets more important than babies??

He was less than the adoption fee at the SPCA in town. And he needed help he wasn't going to get at the pet store, I know this site is against pet stores but it was his life or the support of a pet store, I made my choice and I don't regret it.

The price doesn't matter you still gave your money to the store and supported the breeding/selling of animals. If you really did it save his life and help him you would take him to the vet, most vets will let you work out a payment plan, you really should have checked with your parents about the vet visit first.

I have school and more important things to do than battle a pet store for money over a sick pig I chose to adopt/buy, whatever you want to call it.

I chose to call it what it is a purchase, you bought the pig it was not an adoption.

If you were going to do whatever you wanted, why did you post this question, we ansered your question you just didn't like the answer.

i know some of you people have their own babies instead... Is that somewhat contributing to an "overpopulation" problem with actual people?? are pets more important than babies??
This has already been argued, discussed and dragged thorugh the mud here many times. There are distinct differences.

In all proplems of overpopulation it would be wonderous if breeding only happened where there were enough loving homes to support the lives created. We may not be able to do much to stop humans overbreeding but it is within our scope to reduce the breeding and sales of animals.

As far as the low cost being *like* or below an adoption fee. The difference is all in where the money goes. A store that sells pets uses the money to support it's business. A rescue or shelter uses it to save more animals.

exsNohs said:
Like people never think about babies. People have kids all the time when there's starving children or homeless babies that need to be rescued and helped but i know some of you people have their own babies instead... Is that somewhat contributing to an "overpopulation" problem with actual people??
You can't compare pet overpopulation to people having children. Whether it's a good or bad decision, humans consciously decide to have kids. Two people sitting down and discussing that they want children is a conscious decision. Not using birth control is a conscious decision. Humans can also consciously decide NOT to be pregnant if something happens that they hadn't planned for. Breeder animals don't have any choices. They are thrown together in a tiny cage and made to stay there until the female is pregnant, gives birth, hopefully doesn't get sick or die, and then the whole process starts all over again.

If the store wasn't STILL selling animals, I'd be inclined to agree, even though they should have just given away the pig, that this was a rescue. Even if they won't be selling guinea pigs, they're still selling dogs and reptiles as has already been revealed, so this money is just going to support dog and reptile breeders.

It wasn't going to cost them anything to euthanise this animal because they weren't going to go to a vet to do it. It would have happened in the back room of the store. All they decided to do was treat him like a piece of merchandise on a scratch and dent sale instead of throwing him in the trash.

Like I said I don't regret or feel ashamed of my choice. He's up now and popcorning around the cage I made out of spare coro and grids, and that makes me feel like I did the right thing.

Like I said I don't regret or feel ashamed of my choice.
I bet the dogs that have to go through giving birth and and the puppies being sold to anyone with some cash and end up who knows where don't feel the same way.

Good for you. Looks like he is the right place now.

Well done!!!!

If you really did it save his life and help him you would take him to the vet, most vets will let you work out a payment plan, you really should have checked with your parents about the vet visit first.

I didn't say I wasn't going to take him to the vet, I said my parents said I couldn't demand money from the pet store when i knew he was sick when I bought him. Oh, and the guilt trip thing isn't going to work on me.

You can't compare pet overpopulation to people having children.

Sure i can. Im thinking about all the people that get pregnant but dont mean to. I know theres lots of people who have on this site weather they admit to it or not. It just makes them look a little hyporitical. THAT was the point i was trying to make.

We may not be able to do much to stop humans overbreeding but it is within our scope to reduce the breeding and sales of animals.

But you can reduce the children that are left in homeless shelters. Trust me.. I've been there. Or the little ones without mommys and daddys you could adopt but you choose to have your own. Alot of people dont decide to have kids. It just happens. Or they get abortions to kill them.

I bet the dogs that have to go through giving birth and and the puppies being sold to anyone with some cash and end up who knows where don't feel the same way.

That's not her fault. They were going to KILL that animal. She saved his life. Weather she saved him or not they still wouldve done that with the puppies. I bet that guinea pig loves her for it.. dont you??

I'm glad she doesnt regret her choice cause she shouldn't.

Sure i can. Im thinking about all the people that get pregnant but dont mean to. I know theres lots of people who have on this site weather they admit to it or not. It just makes them look a little hyporitical. THAT was the point i was trying to make.

But you can reduce the children that are left in homeless shelters. Trust me.. I've been there. Or the little ones without mommys and daddys you could adopt but you choose to have your own. Alot of people dont decide to have kids. It just happens. Or they get abortions to kill them.

That's not her fault. They were going to KILL that animal. She saved his life. Weather she saved him or not they still wouldve done that with the puppies.

I'm glad she doesnt regret her choice cause she shouldn't.

THANK YOU!!

She saved one pig but in the process she supported the breeding of puppys and reptiles.

Alot of people dont decide to have kids.

But they do decide to have sex, guinea pigs and dogs are animals and they have sex because it is instinct, they also do not have any way of practicing safe sex.

But they do decide to have sex
Quoting myself..
I know theres lots of people who have [[their own kids by accident]] on this site weather they admit to it or not. It just makes them look a little hyporitical. THAT was the point i was trying to make.

Last edited:
Actually adopting a human is far more difficult and draining than adopting a pet. You may have a parent that decides after a decade they want the child back. There's a lot of heartache that goes along with that. Also the screening process is very stressful and complete. I have no children, but say I was in my mid thirties and have always dreamed of having a child. It would be difficult for me to adopt.

I've worked with many orphans worldwide. The countries I've worked in don't allowed for international adoptions for very good reasons.

It's a very different situation and I agree that it is not comparable at all.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.