Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Should I neuter my pig?

Wilber

Cavy Slave
I am a new owner of a guinea pig.. (I've always been more of a hamster person)

Anyway, I have been reading everything on these pigs and I read that after 3 months you should neuter him. My question is should I? Is it necessary?

He lives alone, because I'm not sure I would be able to care for two right now, nor do I have the room for two, but I was wondering what to do?

Is it absolutely necessary to have at least two guinea pigs?
Is it absolutely necessary to neuter them? Even if they are alone?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I don't know where you are getting your information but it is completely inaccurate. You do not need to neuter you male guinea pig. The only time this would be beneficial is if you had a female cage mate that was not altered.

I would suggest looking around this site as it's information is accurate. You need to make sure you have a cage big enough for one before you decide to get a second. Guinea pigs are much happier in pairs. You can only give them so much social interaction. They like to play and run around with their own kind.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Is it absolutely necessary to have at least two guinea pigs?

Yes. The care of two isn't much more than the care of one and your guinea pig will be happier and more fun with a friend. How would you like to stay in the house all alone every day of your life? You would like to have someone to talk to and so would your guinea pig

Is it absolutely necessary to neuter them? Even if they are alone?

You only need to neuter a guinea pig if you're going to house him with a female.

kdb6003

Cavy Slave
How many pigs to keep is a tough decision, but really from a finanical standpoint, the first pig is the most expensive by far because of the initially required supplies. Adding a second piggy isn't that costly and your lonely little pig will thank you for it with wheeks and pops. He needs companionship just as we humans do.

As far as neuturing goes, I had one of my males neutered by an exotic vet and it was rather expensive, about $250 all toghether. So if I were you, I would get a second male piggy and skip the neuturing all together. The second pig will cost you less than the surgery and make everyone happier. Good Luck.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I had one of my males neutered by an exotic vet and it was rather expensive, about $250 all toghether. So if I were you, I would get a second male piggy and skip the neuturing all together. The second pig will cost you less than the surgery and make everyone happier.

Wow! I just had a male neutered and it was $110. In our case we saw a craigslist ad for a pig that sounded like he was going to be dumped if someone didn't take him ASAP so we took him in. Having three females and not really being able to set up a cage in another room for two males, we decided that neutering him was best for our situation. However I agree that it's best to get a same sex friend and try to avoid the surgery in most cases.

Wilber

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone, I won't get him neutered then. I did not want to, but I was told otherwise so I was not sure.

As for the question of getting another guinea pig, my problems not so much financial. I just don't really have the space, and I would not want Wilber getting in a fight with the other one.. Especially since he is getting used to his cage being all his.

Do you think he would fight with a new friend? I say this because I would feel horrible taking it back, but I would not want to need two cages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.