Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sewing machine help! Why does it do this?

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I am by no means an expert at sewing but I do enjoy having a go! But for some reason tonight my bottom thread keeps catching and kind of knotting up! Please can anyone help me fix this before I throw my machine against the wall!! Lol xx
ive tried letting it cool down re threading it an giving it a quick Hoover! Lol xx here's a pic of what the underside looks like . . . .

Attachments

image.jpg

merlene

Cavy Slave
You may have the sewing tightness too high or too low which is causing it to tangle all up inside, I've had this issue a few times and that was normally the problem

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Maybe I have it too tight now? I kept thinking it wasn't tight enough so I have it nearly all the way up now xx

merlene

Cavy Slave
That could be the problem them! Try losening it and giving that a go :)

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Hope it is! Might have to wait till the morning now xx it got me quite annoyed before when it kept getting stuck! Xx lol xx a major strop was had by me! Chocolate helped tho xx lol xx

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
sometimes my threads from previous stitches get all tangled up like that too.

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My machine did this recently too. It would do a few stitches to start and then catch. There was fluff from the fleece bunged up underneath. I unscrewed the metallic plate around the bobbin, lifted out the bobbin encasement, and used my hand vac to suck up the fluff and it was fine after that. I think the fleece releases a lot of fluff!

merlene

Cavy Slave
It's really hard to stitch fleece on a sewing machine cause it's so stretchy, maybe try used a different stitch (a zigzag one) as they are more for stretchy materials :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
When you sew fleece, you need to use a ball point needle instead of standard sewing machine needles.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
What kind of tension do you guys have on your machines when sewing with fleece? Xx

pinky

Cavy Slave
What kind of tension do you guys have on your machines when sewing with fleece? Xx

I didn't adjust the tension at all. My machine kept jamming until I switched to the ball point needles. Someone who works in the fabric dept at Joanne's told me to switch the needle.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
When that used to happen to me on my mom's machine I would unthread and then rethread the machine and it would start working again. Sometimes the thread slips out of place somewhere you can't see and it needs to go back where it's supposed to.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Another important thing is to regularly oil your sewing machine. The shuttle went out on my sewing machine because I didn't realize you needed to keep it well oiled. When metal rubs against metal it needs to be lubricated. There are usually about 5 points that need oiling.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Also redo your bobbin, I sometimes have this happen and its usually the bobbin. Love the machines but loath them at the same time ;) .

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
this is why im scared to sew, i rather look at someone who can and say take my money!

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
image.jpg
Hopefully this is big enough to see. It really helps/helped me.

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave
I've never had an issue sewing fleece! Strange! I have a beginner's sewing machine, though. it makes it pretty easy. lol

Boogle

Cavy Slave
I have to agree with most, its a tension problem.

you may have also put the bobbin in its casing the wrong way.

what you have there is what the costume shop i work in likes to call BOBBIN ART! :D
oh yeah by the way, i have a degree in costume design/construction.
... I've also been sewing most of my life so if anyone ever has any questions never hesitate to PM me, I'm not a wizard but i'll try my best to help you.

This makes me want to revive my old youtube account and start making tutorials.

squbefactory

Cavy Slave
it can depend on the thread you use as well. Without adding more mind boggling things to think about when sewing with a machine and I am still learning myself, I have basic things that I look at when I get any whoopsies with the stitches.

Cotton - is it the correct one, I found the polyester sew it all stuff is marvellous, old cotton reels can get rotten and cause problems, is it threaded correctly in the machine, the amount of times I have put the reel on the wrong way.

Bobbin - is it the same type of cotton used on the top, wound properly, in properly, any damage to the bobbin, sometimes they can need replacing if needle damage has happened.

needle - is it sharp or bent, I change mine often (but then I use my machine a lot), is it the right one for the job - I use 90/14 sharps and I sew fleece a lot, any snags in it can cause the cottons to shred or snap, can create the problem you have photographed too as I have had that in the past.

Tension - generally is should be around the 4 or 5 on most modern machines, have put my domestic janome machine in for repairs as it was having terrible problems with the tension, would sew at 3 or 2 and that isnt right, turned out to be a timing problem in the end.

Servicing, simple servicing can be done like de fluffing the feed dogs (jagged bit under the metal plate), the bobbin casing and outside of this, a little oil in the center of the bobbin housing before putting it back together. I use a stiff artists paintbrush to de fluff my machines every week, but then again I do use it a lot.

hope that is of some help to you

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.