Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Sewing huts with Uhaul blankets?

Oregon Rain

Cavy Slave
Good morning,

I have watched several tutorials on how to sew hidey huts using batting, stuffing, or foam to give the sides and top stability. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to use uHaul blankets in place of the batting, stuffing, or foam? I am concerned that the batting or foam would not stand up well to washing? As far as the pattern, I am basically envisioning a box style "hut" with a door in one of the sides.

Thanks!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I haven't ever done it but here is my thought: I think to get any kind of stability you would need to at least double the layering of uhaul. IF that makes it stiff enough to hold I would think it would take forever to dry. I think batting stands up just fine to washing. I use the "sheets" of it and quilt it just a little. It stays in place just fine. I have a few beds I used the wadded kind with that bunch up a bit so now I only use wadding for things like stiffening tunnel and sack openings and it's packed in pretty tight so it doesn't move. If you make removable pads for inside you won't have to wash the base as often. Good luck!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I agree with barbara, even 2 layers would be a big IF, and take forever to dry. I do believe the experts use what they use for a reason as it is tried and true. believe me if it wouldn't stand up to the washing, customers would be screaming within a few months.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
If you are looking for some creative ideas for fleece accessories, try looking on a rat forum. I have come across some very creative things that folks make for their ratties.

I also agree that making accessories other than pads is a big "IF" insofar as drying time and stability. The uHaul pad portion will become less stable the more you wash it. If you want the uHaul for absorptive reasons, then use it only in the base. I use boning and stiff interfacing in my fleece accessories to provide some shape.

Interfacing! I couldn't think of the name of it. I'm not a pro so I could think of the correct terms for stuff...lol

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Foam holds up really well to washing but you could absolutely use uhaul. I would stack at least 4 layers and sew them all together into one thick support so they don't move around in washing, but it would definitely work

Oregon Rain

Cavy Slave
I love all the helpful replies. But, I'm so sorry to ask, what is boning? :)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I love all the helpful replies. But, I'm so sorry to ask, what is boning? :)

Boning is like a plastic strip that's flexible. Used in bras and corsets and things of that nature.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.