Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Cyst Separate recovering guinea pig

aden_al

Cavy Slave
Hi,

Altaria- Dominant guinea pig who had a sebaceous cyst discovered, started losing some weight and stabilized around 1190 grams from 1220. After pushing the cyst, the doctor decided to remove it surgically. He did that yesterday and Altaria is fine, she has been eating running and acting normally. When the surgery was scheduled the doctor had said she would need to be separated from her partner. Yesterday I put her back in the cage (I divided the cage so she could rest). Her typical behavior is to be aggressive and to be the dominant despite the fact that now she's just less heavy (her partner the submissive Oktavia is around 1220-1240, and she's nice and often gets pushed by the smaller yet more aggressive Altaria).

I noticed that both Altaria, and her partner Oktavia want to be together and started chewing on the division (the division is just a regular grid so they can see each other all the time), but also showed signs of aggression: chattering, moving their hips, etc. They even once bit me by accident (not hard) when i touched one who was doing this.

Today they were chewing a lot the fence, so I decided to let them hang out inside the cage together (removed the division). I noticed there was a lot of chattering (Oktavia the submissive seemed particularly aggressive), so I put the cage-cleaning brush between and my dominant Altaria bit it fiercely. So I decided to separate them.

Question:

Should I let them hang out outside the cage for a while so they are less anxious about being separated? If not, when should I start letting them hang out outside of the cage and when to be together again?

This is her wound today morning:

Guinea wound.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should have done full reintroductions with them rather than just putting them back together -- thoroughly cleaned cage that smells nothing like either pig, introduction in a neutral place, etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.